Author Topic: RAE exams  (Read 8079 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
RAE exams
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
Just wrore my RAE...........

Await DATA

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: RAE exams
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:40:14 AM »
Excellent SeanB. What is involved in getting to write them here. In the USA it's very easy as there are so many exam centers and tests are held frequently.

I hope the news is good. Keep us in the loop. Is it easy to rewrite if you need to?
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
I see you are wanting to do so as well, and it is very easy. You need to contact a local club to do the practical assessment, then fill in the forms and do the exam at the next session, probably March next year. 90 questions, and there is a textbook on the SARL website, along with some sample exams. 90 questions and you are done....... 3 did the test last night, almost outnumbered by the examiners.....

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:13 AM »
Almost outnumbered by the examiners....classic!

Do you have a radio / antenna setup yet...or what do you plan to buy....and are there any good HAM retailers in SA?
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »
No radio yet, and as I live in a block of flats it can be a little interesting. Good news is thanks to MTN I have a very good earth net, and a cable tray from the ground to the roof for cabling. Will be very restricted in Tx power though..............

Funny enough there are a lot of Ham retailers, though they are all in Gauteng and by you in CT. Hamrad used to have a Durban branch ( now a tyre fitment place) but they are still going in CT.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:52:46 AM »
A block of flats can pose a few challenges but that can be part of the fun. I setup my FT-897 in a condo in the USA with a mobile screw driver antenna and achieved some great results on 10 meters. Later I used an end fed dipole which was great for 20 meters.

The last time I popped into Hamrad it looked like they were only doing electronic stuff...I think they might have seriously scaled back on the HAM bits...but I might be wrong.

What radios are you considering?

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:58:44 AM »
Nothing at present, will look at what is available and in price range.

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »
ZS5TI, looking on Gumtree..........

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:51:27 AM »
ZS5TI, looking on Gumtree..........

Can't believe I missed this!!!! Congratulations Sean! Brilliant call sign...was that random or did you have some choice?

Ok...so if you are on Gumtree, what are you looking for...?

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
No joy on gumtree ( part of Fleabay) so went on SARL and used the advertisers. Got a little 2m handy talkie coming from the windy city sometime this week.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
No joy on gumtree ( part of Fleabay) so went on SARL and used the advertisers. Got a little 2m handy talkie coming from the windy city sometime this week.
Pop me an email on martin@mjlorton.com

I might have something for you.

Cheers.