Author Topic: Portable Car Battery Jump Starter Tests!  (Read 3004 times)

MJLorton

• Administrator
Portable Car Battery Jump Starter Tests!
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:53:19 PM »
The second follow-up video where I test the remaining portable jump starters on a car.
Video and table of results here:
http://www.mjlorton.com/portable-car-battery-jump-starter-tests/
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

pkell1572

Re: Portable Car Battery Jump Starter Tests!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »
Hi, I have the Stanley unit.  I have an accessory plug in the back of my vehicle and I had the idea that I could make a cigarette plug cable that could charge the unit.  I think you mentioned that this might be a bad idea.  If the unit is plugged into the vehicle electrical system, would the charging system automatically float the lead acid battery just in tandem with the battery under the hood?  If not what would it take to do that safely or is it even possible?

Mr Eastwood

Re: Portable Car Battery Jump Starter Tests!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:59:29 AM »
Hi, I have the Stanley unit.  I have an accessory plug in the back of my vehicle and I had the idea that I could make a cigarette plug cable that could charge the unit.  I think you mentioned that this might be a bad idea.  If the unit is plugged into the vehicle electrical system, would the charging system automatically float the lead acid battery just in tandem with the battery under the hood?  If not what would it take to do that safely or is it even possible?

hi,  if the Stanley one you have is the J5C09 then in the manual which can be found  http://media.wix.com/ugd/217982_7bdf47b4263142a9869d2ea559d0cb64.pdf

if you look on page 6 the text reads.

12 Volt DC Charging Method (optional accessory)
Charging the unit from an external 12 volt DC power source requires the use of the 12 Volt DC adapter. This adapter has a male DC
connector at each end.
1. Insert the gold-tipped 12 Volt DC Charging Adapter plug into the vehicle’s 12 volt DC accessory outlet.
2. Insert the silver-tipped end plug into the 12 volt DC accessory outlet on the front panel of the unit.
3. Charge the unit until the green FULL indicator lights when the Battery Power Level Button is pressed (with the adapter
unplugged from the unit). DO NOT CHARGE MORE THAN 6 HOURS MAXIMUM USING THIS METHOD.
4. When charging is complete, remove the charging cord and store in a safe place.
Notes: Some vehicles require that the ignition be switched to the accessory outlet position in order to power the accessory outlet.
Do not leavethe unit unattendedwhen charging using thethis method.

Hey! Frisbee! Far out!