Author Topic: Multimeter giveaway for November 2012 - Mastech / Sinometer MS8218 50000 count  (Read 35081 times)

DaveXRQ

Steve, near Innsbruck, Tirol, Austria
Well the build quality does kinda suck for the price range doesnt it...
IŽd use it as 2nd meter

cheers
It's great  :D

steve30

• Stephen Coates' Homepage
The Mastech multimeter arrived on Tuesday, after Martin posted it by airmail on Friday. Pretty quick.

Anyway, its a nice meter. Seems pretty well built and pretty accurate. Only thing I don't like, is that the backlight turns off after 5 seconds. I might see if I can modify it so it is on permanently. I know that will reduce the battery life, but I really don't like dark screens.

Here is a photo of it along side my Thurlby 1503-HA measuring a 2.5V reference from a MAX6325 chip.

iloveelectronics

That's a world travelling multimeter  :D It has travelled from China to Hong Kong, then South Africa, and now the UK!
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
Here is a photo of it along side my Thurlby 1503-HA

For what use is this  kHz banana plug  ?

steve30

That's a world travelling multimeter  :D It has travelled from China to Hong Kong, then South Africa, and now the UK!

That's what I thought. I wonder where it'll be off to next :D.

For what use is this  kHz banana plug  ?

Its not a banana plug, its a headphone type jack. Basically, the display is a little module which counts pulses. When you plug something in to the kHz jack, the module is disconnected from the rest of the multimeter, and the new input is shaped and sent to the module, so it becomes a (rather crude) frequency counter.

I don't think its a lot of use, but it does work.

MJLorton

• Administrator
Yee Ha! Have digits...must travel!

Thanks for the post Steve.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

steve30

I modded the multimeter so the backlight is on permanently.

I just connected it to the main power switch via a resistor, so it comes on whenever the multimeter is on. Much more readable.

Monkeh

We gather here today to remember steve30's pile of AAA batteries and mourn their loss..