Author Topic: METER QUESTION KVARH OR KWH  (Read 2100 times)

backsmith

METER QUESTION KVARH OR KWH
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:08:40 AM »
Hi I hope this is the right place to ask my question.

My Smart meter measures in KVARH but my supplier takes this reading as equivalent to KWh.  Is this correct? 
I have done some reading and KVARH seems to relate to industrial users who need to power magnets with a load that is not measurable in KWh 

Mine is a simple house with a solar PV on the roof so apart from the odd sheer fan, I have no motors. 

If this is not the right place then any signposting would be appreciated.

Thanks  John

ProBang2

• Really! My screwdriver should be more sonic...
Re: METER QUESTION KVARH OR KWH
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:03:33 AM »

Hello.

Hi I hope this is the right place to ask my question.

I hope so, too...
My Smart meter measures in KVARH but my supplier takes this reading as equivalent to KWh.  Is this correct?

Yes. Your Smart meter is much too smart in this case.
When the unit "KVARH" would appear in your electrical bill, then you would probably - as fast as you could - do something to compensate the lost of unused electrical energy.
This applies to factories and the like. Normal households are billed with KWh.
I have done some reading and KVARH seems to relate to industrial users who need to power magnets with a load that is not measurable in KWh

Yepp. Espacially anything with coils (e.g. electrical motors) is disturbing for the phase angles of the usually used three phase current.
Mine is a simple house with a solar PV on the roof so apart from the odd sheer fan, I have no motors.

That´s the reason for: See point one, above.
If this is not the right place then any signposting would be appreciated.

If you have any more Question, the feel free to ask here. Otherwise: The forum of the EEVBlog is maybe an other good place to ask questions of this kind.

Thanks  John

You´re welcome. Hope, I could help you.
If you think, my english is bad, then you should read my french. :(