Author Topic: Multimeter giveaway for November 2012 - Mastech / Sinometer MS8218 50000 count  (Read 35083 times)

kettyshow

* Your name: Ibrahima Diallo
* The country and city you live in: USA - Knoxville
* Note one of the issues that was found with the MS8218?: Slow display as compared to higher end multimeters
* Note why you would find this multimeter useful?: Useful because it is better in every aspect with my current cheap multimeter
* Upload a picture of your current multimeter measuring the voltage of a 1.5v or 9v battery (cell)...or your backyard or neighborhood.

mcinku

* Mirc Cinku
* Slovenia
* Update display speed, no temperature measurement capability
* Always good to have 50000 count accurate multimeter at your disposal

ctjuggler

* Chris Taylor
* Canada, Yellowknife
* One of the issues that was found with the MS8218 was that the leads don't go all the way down (they protrude a bit).
* This multimeter would be great so I could do logging.

Vilberts

Hi Martin,

1. Atis Kozulis
2. Latvia, Ikšķile
3. Plastic cover locks, update rate incl. bar graph, instantaneous reading in min/max mode, loging length, no temp reading, backlight for mere 5sec. and serial cable instead of USB.
4. I don't have true RMS meter; and none with such precision; would like to use logging capabilities for my solar project.

Best regards,
Atis

cesarvigosantosjr

> Cesar V. Santos Jr
> Riyadh Saudi Arabia
> MS8218 is cheap compare to other brand/model within the same specs, accuracy and features, it's worth buying and or winning...  ;D

bancroft12194

Jon Bancroft
Kinsman, OH, USA
It looked like it had poor input protection.
The data logging would be really useful.

szabi_o

Hi Martin,
Szabi from Marosvásárhely, Romania.

-slow update rate, even the bargraph, poorly made holding mechanism of the back cover.
(the hardware part, build quality, input protection, lack of precision resistor hybrid and so on are far from the more expensive meters)
-I would love to have one becouse of the relative high precision and the true RMS.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Regards, Szabi.  (my webpage: http://ktulu.atw.hu/index.html )

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2264/dscf4959p.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2755/dscf4961e.jpg

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6836/dscf4973g.jpg

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/284/dscf5016s.jpg

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:07:18 PM by szabi_o »

blankfield

Hi Martin,

Karol from Świętokrzyskie, Poland.

You found that refresh rate of bar-graph isn't fast enough.

This meter can replace my old manual range Mastech.

Best regards,
Karol

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:46:07 PM by blankfield »
From 0 to 1, from VEE to VCC.

RiccardoGiuliani

• Hw2Sw
Hi everybody!
First post on forum.

My name: Riccardo Giuliani
Issues: I saw weakly soldered banana inputs, and glass economic fuses (I prefer ceramic ones)
Pros: data logging, 5 digits, good screen, and above all, a decent meter to avoid my cat makes fun of me (see photo)

jabramo

Long time listener first time caller  ;D

Jack

Canada, London Ontario

For the price I would have expected the quality to be higher. Minimal shielding and especially no routing on the pcb for high voltage worries me.

Like you see in my picture my meter is absolute crap and I could use amp readings.

Keep up the good work always enjoy one of your videos coming up, gives me a good break from studying for all my comp engineering midterms and exams.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:03:35 PM by jabramo »

cristix

Hi
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 06:47:53 AM »
Hi, I'm Cristi from Romania.
One of the issues with the MS8218 is  the bar graph update speed and in the software you cannot select which com port to use.
I find this multimeter useful for the data logging feature.
And here is my multimeter:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:17:38 PM by cristix »

dr_p

Hi, I'm Mihai A. from Bucharest, Romania.

One issue with the Mastech would be the slow update speed, especially that of the bargraph. And the flaky bits on the current shunt look cheap.

All considering, I would use it for data logging, and make use of it's high resolution, as well as other nice features.

I'm at work, so I'll post a picture from the Bucegi Mountains.

rbuck9

Rick Buckner
USA
Newport Tennessee
There was an issue with leads not fitting properly into the meter.
i would use it to find the problem with my laptop power
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:13:26 AM by rbuck9 »

ProBang

Hello.

* Your name: Hartmut Gerkemeier

* The country and city you live in: (Federal Republic of) Germany, Lüdenscheid

* Note one of the issues that was found with the MS8218? Flimsy plastic fasteners at the battery. 

* Note why you would find this multimeter useful? It is very accurate and has a high resolution. Also
it can measure capacitance and has a mA- Range. (The Metrahit Pro does not have both...)

* Upload a picture of your current multimeter measuring the voltage of a 1.5v or 9v battery (cell)...

or your backyard

or neighborhood.

(Sorry for the mirroring. It is made through a closed window after a short rain. The sun appears just at that moment...)

Greetings,

Hartmut
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:49:49 AM by ProBang »
Increasing the accuracy and the resolution of DMM´s has one big advantage:
Now it is possible to make far more precise mistakes...
and very exact errors.

Fennec

Hi

Ulli S. Germany / Cologne
The issues for me, I found for are:

• This crappy cheap leads. I found this DMM for 149,95 Euros here in germany and in the package are 3.- leads. Better and higher quality leads like Fluke TL174 costs 15 Euros (maybe $US18) CAT IV 600V. I can't understand why spared on security. We talk about 1000V !
    So I pay maybe 155.- and I am much safer.
  • It is marked as CAT III / 600V. Can measure 'till 1000V AC and DC. Why the hell are 500V fuses in there ? So why this cheap ones ?
  • For me the fuses, this "shunt", between the fuses and the Battery - case are too close each other. Thats a secure issue. Close 10A the case can be melting. Plastic protection only. No PCB cuts, nothing. Look at Martin's Fuse tests for example. For me an absolute "no go"
  • Shunt. Looks like burned, I don't know. But if it is, this shunt is too close at the fuses and Battery case. This can be dangerous too. 1000V, 10A !
  • Software. Its for Windows only. I hate this. It is so easy make a Software for all OS. On Linux I must use the terminal and GNUplot. Why ? What are MAC OS X user do ?
  • Data-cable. Not one modern PC has this old RS232 garbage. Why they build a "new" DMM with this old RS232 ? If you want USB it cost 10 Euros extra.
These are my issues about this Multimeter.