Author Topic: Handic SWR repair  (Read 4739 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
Handic SWR repair
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:38:36 AM »
Bought this at the Ham swap meet, along with an Icom IC718. Decided to open this one to see, as i was curious to see what was inside.

Nice orange front panel, and simple to use self evident operation ( no manual in box, and nothing on line either, so if you have I would be happy to get a link or a copy to one).

Inside, simple transmission line transformer, and a simple diode detector at each end.

Think this resistor has had a little overload in it's lifetime.

New resistor placed in position, a parallel combination of 3 150R 0.25W carbon film resistors, good match and lower inductance than the original. No idea what the 2 diodes are for connected to the terminal there. Might be for an auto SWR tuner.

The other side, with the new resistors as well, same rating and likely to last better.

The old resistors, one well cooked and the other only lightly toasted. The crispy one measured 46R and the lightly cooked one 48R. I doubt that they are in tolerance any more.... ;)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:42:32 AM by SeanB »

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: Handic SWR repair
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »
Very nice Sean. Great to hear you got the Icom IC718. Have you been able to use it yet?
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:25:16 PM »
Need better antenna though, but what I have is able to pick up WWVH at night, though it is rather poor otherwise. Waiting on a roll of new cable to replace the run up to the roof. Also have some connectors on order from fleabay, hopefully better than what is available here. Nice thing it runs off a 12V 18Ah SLA battery, so it does still work when Eishkom decides to do the usual load shedding. just need to get a 100Ah one for the UPS to not worry at all for a 2 hour power failure.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
LOL...always good to hear Eishkom are making life 'easy' for you guys back home!
Shout if you need any bits that you can't get shipped there.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)