Author Topic: Old equipment  (Read 3696 times)

Paul Collins M0BSW

Old equipment
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
Thought I'd show you my radio shack, nothing new in here apart from the UB-DDDS sig Gen 2 Mhz, lot of  UK  including  homemade. Apart from the heathkit  mutlimeter to many multimeters, I often think about selling all the multimeters and buy just one, like a German Gosson.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:17:33 PM by Paul Collins M0BSW »
Quietly Learning

dimlow

• Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
Re: Old equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:08:48 AM »
A Dummy Load Can, nice!

I can't help asking, what one is the monitor ?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:10:57 AM by dimlow »

steve30

• Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:44:41 AM »
Nice. I love the old English test gear :).

Just curious, how do you find the Jupiter 500 function generator? I used to use them at college a few years back. I seem to recall they were pretty good, but one or two of them might have been a bit dodgy 8).

Paul Collins M0BSW

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
A Dummy Load Can, nice!

I can't help asking, what one is the monitor ?
I made the dummy load about 6months ago, works just fine, I have plans to build a larger one, very useful when setting up transmitters, without radiating "Monitering !!!", are to talking about the two frequency counters, I was checking their calibration, the one on the right needs to warm up, I believe it has a oven for the crystal inside,it also counts periods between two points, the one on the left is a BlackStar Meteor, fairly new to me, you can see I collect Black Star and Farnell equipment tthe meteor measures from 5hz to 600Mhz, the universal on the right measures .01 Hz to 10 Mhz. & both are in their spec.
Quietly Learning

Paul Collins M0BSW

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
Nice. I love the old English test gear :).

Just curious, how do you find the Jupiter 500 function generator? I used to use them at college a few years back. I seem to recall they were pretty good, but one or two of them might have been a bit dodgy 8).
Actually I had two the one featured is totally in calibration spot on I took it's serial number to thurlby thander, who told me mine is one of the last one's built. the other would varied in seconds all over the place it had been played with several hacks inside, so ,I broke it up for spares, it's case is the bottom box which now holds my homemade component tester, I intend to change the scope next this one is 10mhz, I may go up to a 100mhz, the Farnell millivolt meter TM2, was a wreck when I got it , I got it back to life, took it to the calibration centre and they set it up on standards it goes from 1mv to 300v, and is the most accurate meter I have, I have some DMM's but I prefer to use this stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:21:04 PM by Paul Collins M0BSW »
Quietly Learning

dimlow

• Likes to be thought of as
    • Dimlow Ponders
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
There is just something about old test gear i love. It has a kind of beauty you just don't see in gear today. I cant quite put my finger on it, maybe its the fact that i'm getting on in years now too. They are more than functional,a kind of art if you know what i mean.

Paul Collins M0BSW

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
There is just something about old test gear i love. It has a kind of beauty you just don't see in gear today. I cant quite put my finger on it, maybe its the fact that i'm getting on in years now too. They are more than functional,a kind of art if you know what i mean.
Yes I do, they seem to have a warmth, I don't have to measure down to .000000000000000000000000000000000001, I like my analogue scope  ok you have to wait a minute for it to warm up , but so what, and all of it get's the job done.
Quietly Learning