Author Topic: Fluke 279 FC Thermal Multimeter Review  (Read 4554 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
Fluke 279 FC Thermal Multimeter Review
« on: May 29, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »
Fluke 279 FC Thermal Multimeter Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdaMFKBrhbs

Martin reviews this nice meter, and points out a few minor niggles. Battery really needs a chrging indicator, easy enough to do by replacing the one charge state green LED with a 2 colour red/green one, so it lights up green when fully charged on test, but is red when plugged in to charge. A charger with a power light would also be good.

The rest of the things are all fixable with a firmware update. Better use of the display, the ability to review images stored, better use of the storage functions.

ProBang2

• Really! My screwdriver should be more sonic...
Re: Fluke 279 FC Thermal Multimeter Review
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:14:29 AM »
Sorry, I cant get it:

Who should buy this crap "jack of all trades, master of none" multimeter?

Obviously industrial electricans, working in dangerous enviroments.
Leaving the multimeter in the dangerzone, making their measurement in a safe distance, even long time logging data. Nice idea...
Is therefor a useful, reliable, functional remote control? No! FAIL!

Will this multimeter survive against the harsh industrial enviroment, including the using on a daily base? Without an easy, durable way to charge it? No! Again: FAIL!

Aside the wireless connection: This multimeter can be replaced easily with every common 6000 count multimeter and an IR-camera.
This combination results in more functionality and precision for much less money. And again for Fluke: FAIL!

BTW: A Fluke multimeter for more then 1000 bucks without the famous "auto-hold"? Are you kidding me? Again: FAIL.

Really: Why should someone (for hobby or industry, for electric or electronic work) buy this pile of cheap crap with a exaggerated price?

Sorry Fluke. It is better you make a second try.
With more thoughts on your customers then your shareholders.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:16:19 AM by ProBang2 »
If you think, my english is bad, then you should read my french. :(

gnavigator1007

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 01:02:16 AM »
Really looking forward to the teardown on this Frankenmeter!  Anybody catch what the operating time on a full charge is?

WackyGerman

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:55:52 AM »
This is the worst Fluke product I ve ever seen . You need to remove the back cover and take off the battery for charging . Why don t they fit in an extra jack for charging the battery or to use the multimeter via power supply like the Gossen multimeters ?
 In professional use where you need to charge the battery every day  how long will last the cheap plastic screws ? 2 weeks ? one month ?
Anyway to fit the back cover is also a big desaster .
So the hardware of the meter is a piece of shit . The software issues could be fixed by updates but anyway , I would never never buy this thermal multimeter .
Buying a multimeter and a separate thermal camera would be the much better deal , it s cheaper and you get fully developed units .
In comparison to the famous Fluke 170 or 80 series this unit is a bad joke . The right place for this thermal multimeter is the thrash bin .

Diabolinhio

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:38:25 AM »
Hello
I have a big problem with Fluke 279FC. I cannot transfer thermal pictures from device to PC neither from SmartViev not from FlukeConnect.
When I try to transfer pictures via SmartView I have only two log files but no .is2 pictures. These two log files are SDCardDownloadLog and SDDowloadLogReport. In SmartView v.3.14 I had a statement that I can upgrade Fluke software but first I must upgrade SmartView. After upgrading SmartView to version 4.1 I still cannot upgrade Fluke 279FC (grey unavailable position). 
I can’t also transfer pictures via FlukeConnect. When I download pictures from device to smartphone I cannot send them further. I have statement  „Mistake during making e-mail”. When I log to FlukeConnect on PC computer I don’t see pictures which I’ve done and which I see on smartphone.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:33:02 PM by Diabolinhio »

Lalitnut

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 11:13:03 PM »
Thank you for the review. It helped me decide.