Author Topic: Multimeter giveaway for July - Major Tech MT1887 / Extech EX530  (Read 40955 times)

Numex106

Re: Multimeter giveaway for July - Major Tech MT1887 / Extech EX530
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 04:34:05 PM »
Hey Martin,

Ming here from Alberta, Canada (someone that is entering is too!)

You didn't like the quality of the leads and they do look pretty cheesy.

Here's a pic of my *ahem* lab. It's small, i know. I do mainly arduino stuff. You can see my multimeter, though it doesn't even measure current or resistance properly :(

szabi_o

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
Hello Martin,
Greetings from Romania.
I am Szabi.

First I'm gonna mention the smaller issues that you have found on the MT1887:
-the meter is only waterpfroof, (and meets IP67) when the small rubber caps, and the original leads are plugged in.
-fuses cannot be accessed without opening up the unit. (this may lead to deterioration of waterproofness eventually)
-lack of metal threaded screws
-the power ON/OFF switch is in the middle position, so you always have to double check if it's switched off or not.
-in min/max mode there is no stamping, no average and no duration indication
-no touchhold function (altough you can use the min-max trick)
-there is no separate backlight buttton, and bl. duration can not be set
-I didn't particularly like the fact, that your first meter was out of spec
-slow autorange in Volts measurements

And now the more serious issues:
-very slow screen update rate, and pretty much useless bargraph
-extremely slow buzzer reaction = useless

I only own some el-cheapo multimeters, like a couple of small DT830B's, a pocket Voltcraft VC555, a DT93A, and a Maxwell MX-25312
The Fluke 87V is my dream meter, but don't think I'm ever gonna be able to afford to buy one.

I enjoy watching your videos, keep up the good work.
Kind regards, Szabi. (my webpage: http://users.atw.hu/ktulu/index.html )
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:24:06 PM by szabi_o »

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
Well, here is my grumble, poor continuity beeper. that is very annoying when trying to check a cable that is intermittent.

Sean Beukes
Durban

My tabletop. Hopefully soon I will upgrade it a little.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:55:32 PM by SeanB »

lepomis

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
Hi All!

Chad from Sioux City, Iowa in the US.
I don't know for sure what would be bad with the multimeter.... maybe the yellow color... the slowness could get annoying.

Here is a photo of my lab (messy corner)...  and one of my multimeters... the radio shack one was the more expensive of the two :)
The bench one is an old fluke 8520a.

patbenzo

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2012, 04:56:39 AM »
First I like to mention: your doing a great job.

* Patrick Van Ginneken
* Belgium, Antwerp
* I agree with you the update rate is to low, specialy the analog bargraf by fluxuating voltage. (even enoying)!
* This my outside view (the harbor my playground)

Cheers,  ;)

kettyshow

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Hello

* Your name: Ibrahima Diallo

* The country and city you live in: United States

* Note one of the issues that I found annoying with the MT1887: I have not played with high end DMM but compared to other reviews you have done, it seems as though this DMM is limited when it comes to Min/Max functions.

* Upload a picture of your neighborhood: Picture of my neighborhood as viewed from 2000FT through the lens of an iPhone. I just picked up electronics as a hobby and thus I do not have a lab yet but I am working on it.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
**** Please note...entries for this giveaway are now closed. The draw will take place tomorrow the 25th Of July and a video will be posted with the result ****

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Chaser

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
Howzit Martin, PLEASE! accept my late entery...
My name is Dean Goldbaum from Johannesburg, South Africa
Some issues were you can't adjust the backlight timer and the slow update speed.
The pics below are of my small sorar setup and my first arduino prject which displays the temp on a 7 segment display
Happy Birthday and thanks for excellent vids

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »
Howzit Martin, PLEASE! accept my late entery...
My name is Dean Goldbaum from Johannesburg, South Africa
Some issues were you can't adjust the backlight timer and the slow update speed.
The pics below are of my small sorar setup and my first arduino prject which displays the temp on a 7 segment display
Happy Birthday and thanks for excellent vids

Thanks for the wishes....you made it just in time!
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Happy Birthday Martin, and congratulation to your winner Patrick on his nice prize.

retiredcaps

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Martin!!!

Congratulations to Barry.

Sorry Martin, I totally forgot to enter a picture.  June was pretty much all rain.  After seeing all the wonderful pictures, I thought I would do something different.

We didn't have much money growing up, so this is part of the reason why I have these tools.  These are my real life tools that I started with almost 2 years ago and still mostly use today to fix lcd monitors.

Obviously, good tools makes the job much easier and last longer, but for a one time DIY fix, these will suffice as well.

1) The old butter knife. Yes, it might scratch, scar the plastic and break a few tabs, but it works.

2) Sewing kit (free from some hotel). I used the stainless steel bobby pin to clear the holes after removing the capacitor. I used to use a solder sucker, but the bobby pin works way better.

3) Dollar store wire cutter. I think I got this at the dollar store back when all items were actually $1 and not $1.25 or $1.50.

4) Sort by lowest ebay price 40W (around $4 USD) soldering iron. These irons work, but they come with a conical tip which has less thermal transfer area than a chisel tip. It is almost impossible to find a cheap 40W iron with a chisel tip and replacement tips are non existant so consider this a disposable iron after the tip dies.

5) Stainless steel scour pad. I used to use a wet sponge to clean off the solder iron tip, but I find the scour pad works just as well with no thermal shock. $2 for 3 at Wal-Mart or equivalent.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 05:08:37 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Martin!!!

Congratulations to Barry.

Sorry Martin, I totally forgot to enter a picture.  June was pretty much all rain.  After seeing all the wonderful pictures, I thought I would do something different.

We didn't have much money growing up, so this is part of the reason why I have these tools.  These are my real life tools that I started with almost 2 years ago and still mostly use today to fix lcd monitors.

Obviously, good tools makes the job much easier and last longer, but for a one time DIY fix, these will suffice as well.

1) The old butter knife. Yes, it might scratch, scar the plastic and break a few tabs, but it works.

2) Sewing kit (free from some hotel). I used the stainless steel bobby pin to clear the holes after removing the capacitor. I used to use a solder sucker, but the bobby pin works way better.

3) Dollar store wire cutter. I think I got this at the dollar store back when all items were actually $1 and not $1.25 or $1.50.

4) Sort by lowest ebay price 40W (around $4 USD) soldering iron. These irons work, but they come with a conical tip which has less thermal transfer area than a chisel tip. It is almost impossible to find a cheap 40W iron with a chisel tip and replacement tips are non existant so consider this a disposable iron after the tip dies.

5) Stainless steel scour pad. I used to use a wet sponge to clean off the solder iron tip, but I find the scour pad works just as well with no thermal shock. $2 for 3 at Wal-Mart or equivalent.

Thanks very much for the wishes and ALL your support and participation.

This is a brilliant post showing what can be done with some cheap simple bits and pieces.

Cheers,
Martin.