New proof of concept ideas, projects, inventions > New proof of concept ideas, projects, inventions

Temperature Controller

(1/5) > >>

Mr Eastwood:
This is something I've been working on for the last 2 years in my spare time.  It's a ramp/hold temperature controller,  it controls temperatures up to 1300'c based on temperature profiles which are created in XML then sent to the controller via rs232, the unit has a internal logging facility to store each successful run operation; then you can pull the logs from memory to the PC to be displayed as a graph. It has a COM mode that allows you to send commands from the PC to it. This pic doesn't show the rs232 module board.

It's taken a long time to create as it's my first real project and everything I've learned I've had to pick up on the way.  I've really got hooked on electronics now and I'm keen to get this finished so I can get started on the next version.

MJLorton:
Brilliant, hats off to you and thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Martin.

Mr Eastwood:
Just a small update; after doing the top board I wanted something to fit into a project box, so I created a smaller 2 board version.

Here's a small time-lapse clip build showing the part construction of the main board.
http://youtu.be/NKsXdEf8vio

Since that version - I decided to try and do a PCB layout; which is done and almost ready to be sent off to be made into PCBs.

blankfield:
Really nice project, are you using bluetooth for rs232 communication? And what is the purpose of the xml format? Xml is a little to redundant format of data like for MCU's.

Mr Eastwood:

--- Quote from: blankfield on May 29, 2013, 03:49:36 PM ---Really nice project, are you using bluetooth for rs232 communication? And what is the purpose of the xml format? Xml is a little to redundant format of data like for MCU's.

--- End quote ---

Hi blankfield,    yes the Bluetooth module is for rs232;  all setup etc is done remotely via a custom console application written in c#.  The XML is only used to create the firing programmes on the PC;  it's then parsed and compiled into nice compact binary format that then gets sent to the controller:  but you're completely right - you wouldn't use XML natively on such a small MCU.    The push buttons I used were a bit crappy, but they should work ok for a while at least!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version