Author Topic: Success  (Read 3216 times)

Barryg41

Success
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
I have only been in electronics for about 5 months. I consider myself a new person to the world of electronics. Saying that!

Last week my Mom said her TV was making unusual noise in the morning when she would turn her TV on. She asked me to look at it. Knowing that it was mains type connected equipment. I would just look around.  I told her if it was a simple fix, I would do my best.

So I let it sit around till the next morning. Letting the caps drain more or less.

Well last month, I built the Blue ESR kit. It worked flawlessly. Told me which cap was bad on the board.

Anyway, ordered the new cap and all is well. First successful electronic fix in my life.

Martin I took my time and listened to your constant request for your viewers to be safe as possible when working with mains type equipment.

Cheers mate!

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: Success
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59:05 AM »
I have only been in electronics for about 5 months. I consider myself a new person to the world of electronics. Saying that!

Last week my Mom said her TV was making unusual noise in the morning when she would turn her TV on. She asked me to look at it. Knowing that it was mains type connected equipment. I would just look around.  I told her if it was a simple fix, I would do my best.

So I let it sit around till the next morning. Letting the caps drain more or less.

Well last month, I built the Blue ESR kit. It worked flawlessly. Told me which cap was bad on the board.

Anyway, ordered the new cap and all is well. First successful electronic fix in my life.

Martin I took my time and listened to your constant request for your viewers to be safe as possible when working with mains type equipment.

Cheers mate!

Classic! Hats off to you good man!
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Torrentula

• My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:24:11 AM »
Nice repair :)

your constant request for your viewers to be safe as possible when working with mains type equipment.

On most boards it's pretty obvious which ones are the filter / output caps :)
Just measure the voltage and short them if necessary before you touch the underside of the board or desolder them; at least that's what I usually do.

Elvis O.

• Enjoy learning
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
Heck I tried once with old CRT TV, but when I saw video and comments on internet that older CRT's had some sort of non protective vacume tube that if handled wrong could shatter into pieces of glass. And when I was looking at that high voltage cable connected to CRT I was thinking" Do I really have to put screwdriver underneeth that to empty the caps". To avoid any damadge to myself I just closed it and said there will be another simplier and safer TV to work with.