Author Topic: Amprobe AM240 / AM220  (Read 4981 times)

Billy

Amprobe AM240 / AM220
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
Hi,
I recently got an Amprobe AM240 multimeter and thought I'd share my thoughts on it here as it seems to be targeted as a meter for hobbyists.
Martin you may want to review it at some point but I'd say don't spend precious money buying one!
The AM240 is the same as the AM220 except that it comes with a temperature probe.
Good points:
 - good accuracy. Its readings closely match what my trusted Fluke 87 gives
Bad points:
 - gives a deafening beep whenever you press any of the buttons. Very annoying after a while.
 - unbelieveably slow continuity buzzer. Shockingly bad. I'd estimate the response time to be approaching half a second. Useless.
 - poor backlight. Activating the backlight requires pressing the Hold button for 2 seconds. Then it goes off after 10 seconds. Useless.
 - back of case is not rubberized, so it slides around if lying to on its back.
 - the 3 connectors left to right are: Volts/Ohms/mA , Common, 10A . Why the hell did they decide to be the only multimeter which has the 10A terminal to the right?!! It's only a matter of time before I try to take a voltage reading with the leads connected to the 10A terminal.
 - probes are mediocre quality and blunt, with only 2mm exposed metal at the tip.
 - poor ergonomics in that it's very hard to operate the meter with one hand.
 - temperature probe is very bulky and is only really suitable for measuring liquids

Verdict: very disappointing, expected a lot more. I also have an Extech EX330 which is in the same price range and supposedly the same class, but beats the Amprobe in every one of the points above and is a first class little meter.

Hope this might be useful to someone.

Billy.

retiredcaps

Re: Amprobe AM240 / AM220
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing your opinions of the Amprobe AM240.

Can you post some pictures of internals?

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »
For the price I do not think that you have payed enough so to get the ideal multimeter.
The comparison with an old 87 is not a proof regarding calibration.
The comparison with those Extech does not bring much of information, those entry level models are slow and shiny.

If you tell us more about your own technical background, I would be helped to identify if your standards regarding quality,
they are truly your own.

Many video bloggers misusing the power of the video as media, and their points is plain Show, than true valid points.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:27 AM »

Verdict: very disappointing, expected a lot more. I also have an Extech EX330 which is in the same price range and supposedly the same class, but beats the Amprobe in every one of the points above and is a first class little meter.

Hope this might be useful to someone.

Billy.

Hi Billy,

Thanks very much for your post. I recently received an email from someone regarding another Amprobe  model (AM-270) wanting a review on that meter. I hope the review I post on my AM-160-A will provide some value too.

All these bits of information help so I do value your input....do pop up a few pics if you have the time.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Billy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »
Well I've taken a few pictures but unfortunately I can't seem to get them uploaded. I've tried a couple of computers, and Firefox and IE9, but while it allows me to browse and select the attachments, it then just brings me back to a blank page. The images are all between 4 and 6MB, so it's not that they are too large. Will try again from another computer tomorrow.
Regards,
Billy.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:53:24 AM by Billy »