Author Topic: Digitek DT-2843R AC+DC True RMS multimeter mini review and teardown  (Read 7315 times)

iloveelectronics

I've had this one for a while but just never had to time to take the pictures and do the write-up. So here are a few pictures and a short summary of my observation.

Pros:

1. Cheapest AC+DC True RMS meter you can possibly find, with a decent list of features - rel, Max/Min, temperature, backlight, etc. The TekPower TP2844R is almost identical except the lack of temperature measuremet and it's available on Amazon for $39.99 http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-TP2844R-True-RMS-Auto-ranging-Multimeter/dp/B004YF0VEM

2. Pretty accurate. Again this is only based on the DMMCheck Plus and PentaRef from VoltageStandard.com that I have, but all the measurements I've done are very well within spec.

3. Reasonable build quality. Obviously at this price you're not going to get anything like the Fluke's and Agilent's, but the meter feels reasonably decent in the hand. Range switch clicks and clacks fine. All screw receivers are metal threaded. Ceramic fuse (for 10A range), PTC and MOV present for some basic input protection.

4. Does not overshoot.

5. I don't have the proper equipment (i.e. a function gen) to test but I can measure DC fairly accurately with the meter set in the AC range so I assume the AC+DC True RMS does work.

Cons:

1. Glass fuse for the 500mA range. And both fuses are only rated at 250V (which is marked clearly on the jacks).

2. Backlight isn't very even, though still perfectly usable.

3. Slow auto ranging. Although it doesn't overshoot, it usually takes a second or so for the reading to show up if it needs to auto-range to another range. And during that time the display simply freezes.

4. Slow continuity tester.

The meter is also rebadged under the Micron brand in Australia (at a higher price). http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=Q1074 In fact, the particular unit I got from Digitek (as a demo unit) was a Mircon, they just rubbed it off and reprinted the "Digitek" mark on it before they sent it to me.

I was thinking about sending this one to Martin for a proper review but seeing how he has been flooded with video content to produce I don't know if he wants more work :)

Does anyone else want to have a go with this and report back (preferably in a video)? Like Martin (and possibly many others), I'd really like to see more Youtube channels on the topic of electronics and equipment reviews. If anyone wants to do it and post a video I'll send this one off to you, at my expense! I can't do it properly myself with my Chinglish!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:57:27 AM by iloveelectronics »
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Digitek DT-2843R AC+DC True RMS multimeter mini review and teardown
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 04:44:24 AM »
What is wrong with you english. pretty good here, and you probably will do good in video. Me, I have a face for radio and a voice for silent movies.........

iloveelectronics

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
What is wrong with you english. pretty good here, and you probably will do good in video. Me, I have a face for radio and a voice for silent movies.........

How I write and how I speak are 2 different things :) Martin talked to me on Skype before so he can attest to that...LOL! And I don't have the equipments and technical knowledge to do a proper review anyway. What I post here is just observations from a layman's point of view.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »

How I write and how I speak are 2 different things :) Martin talked to me on Skype before so he can attest to that...LOL! And I don't have the equipments and technical knowledge to do a proper review anyway. What I post here is just observations from a layman's point of view.
There's nothing wrong with the way you speak good man...I can certainly confirm that...your time will come for a video review!!!!
But...thanks for putting it out there for other folks...great idea as I certainly would like to see others give it a bash if they feel it's something they might enjoy.
...and yes...I have my hands full ::)
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »
Martin knows my voice as well...........

iloveelectronics

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:25 AM »
Someone on Dave's forum has agreed to do a video review on this one. The meter is already on its way to Chile! As if South Africa isn't far enough...LOL! We need more people in the northern hemisphere to do some video blogging!

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:31:03 AM »
Brilliant....I look forward that!

Good point about the northern hemisphere...
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

LightAges

• Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:15 AM »
Well I am from the northern hemisphere, live in the southern hemisphere, and have been to China.  ;)