Author Topic: Potential Arduino project – rechargeable battery tester – comments requested  (Read 5740 times)

AB1BE

With us all using lots of rechargeable batteries in our projects and hobbies, I had a thought about a practical tool that could be built with an Arduino. I hope that forum members can comment on the feasibility of the idea.

The concept is to use the Arduino as an automated rechargeable battery health tester. The idea being to monitor the monitor the discharge of a selected battery (1.5v Eneloop LSD NiMH AA; 12v Sealed Lead Acid; Super Capacitor etc.) into a suitable load, over time. Based on the discharge curve deduce if the battery is on its way out. Indicate battery health and recommendation on a few LEDs or even a 2 line LCD screen.

I imagine that for people with many rechargeable cells around the house this could save a lot of time figuring out good cells from bad. Especially if a few batteries could be tested at the same time.

So you EEs, Solar gurus and Arduino experts out there, is the idea feasible?

Thanks for any constructive comments!

Ken AB1BE

MJLorton

• Administrator
With us all using lots of rechargeable batteries in our projects and hobbies, I had a thought about a practical tool that could be built with an Arduino. I hope that forum members can comment on the feasibility of the idea.

The concept is to use the Arduino as an automated rechargeable battery health tester. The idea being to monitor the monitor the discharge of a selected battery (1.5v Eneloop LSD NiMH AA; 12v Sealed Lead Acid; Super Capacitor etc.) into a suitable load, over time. Based on the discharge curve deduce if the battery is on its way out. Indicate battery health and recommendation on a few LEDs or even a 2 line LCD screen.

I imagine that for people with many rechargeable cells around the house this could save a lot of time figuring out good cells from bad. Especially if a few batteries could be tested at the same time.

So you EEs, Solar gurus and Arduino experts out there, is the idea feasible?

Thanks for any constructive comments!

Ken AB1BE

I think this is a great idea...I'd love to see it extended to larger batteries too.
I hope this gets traction...if not I might look into it myself.

Thanks for posting Ken.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

MJLorton

• Administrator
In the mean time....you could just pop one of these on your desk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzqGTNtC-E
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

AB1BE

Thanks for the link.  Looks like there's quite a science behind "Realistic Assessment of Battery Performance".  Good ideas and graphics in the video. Nice Agilent kit.  Too bad it's ~$5,400 USD just for the add on Battery Drain Analysis module!

IMHO The audio presentation sounded like someone reading a technical white paper! Not like the user friendly and interesting MJL style.

Mr Eastwood

Hi, I bought one of these chargers the other year; it only charges AA and AAA's but it would be great to build something better that did a full range of battery types.

http://eu.nkon.nl/maha-powerex-sanyo-eneloop-chargers/maha-c9000-eneloop.html

Here are the chargers feature list :-

1) Charge
This charger can charge with a charge current between 0,1 and 2A (thus 100 and 2000 ma). Fast charge can be handy, but slower is better for batteries.

2) Refresh and analyze.
Batteries will be charged, discharged and charged. This keeps batteries in good condition.

3) Break in ( IEC capacity analysis )
This option can be used to revive old batteries. Also the capacity is given at the end of the process according the IEC norm.

4) Discharge
The charger can discharge batteries with a current between 100 and 1000 mA

5) Cycle
This mode chargers and discharge a battery up to 12 times. Can be used to get old batteries in good condition.

Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

AB1BE

Thanks jucole.

It's good to see a consumer priced charger that has battery analysis and other useful features. Thanks for the link. It looks interesting.

For others who might want one, the Maha Powerex MH-C9000 charger is also available at Amazon.com.  Just remember to use the Amazon search box on Martin's site, so that he can benefit from the sale  :)