Author Topic: Absurdly tiny CRT  (Read 3041 times)

cheesestraws

• James Joyce Was Korean
Absurdly tiny CRT
« on: August 08, 2014, 05:29:59 AM »
From a charity shop here I recently bought an old Sanyo 8mm camcorder for a couple of quid, since it hadn't been tested and probably didn't work, but it looked like there might be interesting things in it.  Sure enough, it didn't work, and didn't seem worth trying to fix, but I'm sure I'll be able to use the lenses, motors, springs, and the eyepiece.

The eyepiece was the thing that caught my eye.  It looked like a tiny---maybe 1cm diagonal---monochrome CRT, and the whole assembly was both self-contained and only had three wires running to it.  So was prepared to bet that those three wires were 5V, GND and signal or something along those lines.

Here's the eyepiece, sitting on my laptop keyboard for scale:

And here it is opened up (apologies for the crappy DoF, I mucked it up)

Usefully, Sanyo left a few test points on the board it was plugged into including "VF 5V" and "GND" so it was almost disappointingly trivial to work out the pinout (thank goodness for continuity buzzers).  On whacking 5V down the appropriate wire and sending the analogue video signal out of a R-Pi down it, the thing just went and worked straight off.  Here's a rather crappy photo of the RISC OS boot screen (as that's what happens to be installed on this Pi at the moment).  The AF focussed on the dust on the screen so the actual image is a bit out of focus.  It's sharper in real life.

I have no idea at all what to do with this thing, but it's far too cute not to keep...  ideas on a postcard?

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Absurdly tiny CRT
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
I have a slightly bigger unit of similar vintage, came IIRC from a very dead Sanyo video camera. Never got it to work though, but did not try that much. It has a 2 inch CRT inside.

steve30

• Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
That looks awesome :). How readable is text when connected to the Pi? It would be cool if you could get a more in focus photo of the screen.

I wouldn't mind having a small monochrome CRT to use with old computers.

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:05:56 AM »
hehe - that's so cute! ;-)
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!