Author Topic: A neat battery charger  (Read 1901 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
A neat battery charger
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
This is a little SLA battery charger I got recently, and after using it a little I decided to break the warranty seal and open it up.

So, after breaking the seal ( doubt it still is in warranty anyway) I undid the screws and popped off the lid. First thing I noticed was the earth wire, flapping around there in the breeze. As i recently had "decomissioned" an old airconditioner, I had lying around the aluminium grounding bar for it, sao undid the one transformer bolt and placed the lug there, then put the loose wire in the hole and gently tightened it down. Now it is grounded properly.

Simple unit, though looking at the somewhat cavalier way the power transistor is mounted using the leads to hold it all I might want to do a little rework there. Yes, a genuine bit of crusty electronics, but it does still work, despite looking like it lived in a boat.

Front panel, guess the designer was an avid golfer, or was building these on the green while waiting to follow through. Note Multy Stage charger, and a red and green LED as indicators.Top has the very complex instruction manual, plus a confirmation that it works.

All in all not a bad buy for $2, I used it to charge a whole load of standby batteries, and it did work to tell me which ones were not usable and I put them in the pile to recycle.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:11:57 AM by SeanB »

RobertoLG

Re: A neat battery charger
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
hehe, crusty stuff always has some fun in it :)