Author Topic: Looking for scope on the cheap! :)  (Read 10089 times)

taiga

Looking for scope on the cheap! :)
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:24:13 PM »
Hello folks. I'm just starting off on this electrical adventure and am realizing the importance of an oscilloscope.
Being a student I obviously don't have piles of money laying around so I'm looking for the cheapest scope (that still works :P) I can.
I've been saving my pennies and have around $200 saved. :( I know I know, not very much.
Anyways to wrap things up if anyone has a good lead on a decent oscilloscope for around $200 (maybe up to $300 all in) I would really appreciate it.

NOTE: I'm in school in first year electrical engineering. I plan on majoring in renewable energy. I still am not sure about all the different scopes and features. So if you could help guide me in the features for more power specific (ie chargers, converters, PV, applications) I should be concerning myself with that would be wonderful.

Thanks!
Ben

iloveelectronics

Re: Looking for scope on the cheap! :)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »
At that price I guess your best bet would be a used old analog scope. I actually have a 40MHz one sitting on my bench that I don't mind giving away, if you don't mind the shipping cost across half the globe...
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

Rick Law

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
At that price I guess your best bet would be a used old analog scope. I actually have a 40MHz one sitting on my bench that I don't mind giving away, if you don't mind the shipping cost across half the globe...

From Hong Kong, it would be 220V instead of 110V.  So you would also need to find a good size transformer to get that going.

If you are starting out, I would suggest consider something like a cheap USB scope to learn with.  That gives you time to learn what features you really need, and after you know what you want, you can patiently wait for a good deal while having something to use as you wait.

I am not an EE guy, nor am I very experienced.  I have been an amateur on an off since I was a toddler and I have used "real scopes" for a number of years.  I found my USB scope (Hantek 6022BE) serves me well and exceeded my expectation for something around $70USD.

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
Frankie, if you need the space you can post it to me then, I can always use another analogue scope, and will take it out regularly to help others with problems. You have all my details.

iloveelectronics

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
Frankie, if you need the space you can post it to me then, I can always use another analogue scope, and will take it out regularly to help others with problems. You have all my details.

Sounds good. I would like to see it getting put in good use. I even have a very rare service manual with full schematics etc for it which I thought I needed and bought LOL! Will include that too. I will check postage fee and let you know, you can then tell me if it's acceptable.

taiga

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:46:18 AM »

Sounds good. I would like to see it getting put in good use. I even have a very rare service manual with full schematics etc for it which I thought I needed and bought LOL! Will include that too. I will check postage fee and let you know, you can then tell me if it's acceptable.

Thanks for the offer! I have a feeling the shipping would be crazy but I'd be interested to know how much. I'll have a look at transformers too.

The USB thing could be an option although you're the first positive comment on them I think I've seen so far :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:48:43 AM by taiga »

iloveelectronics

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 01:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the offer! I have a feeling the shipping would be crazy but I'd be interested to know how much. I'll have a look at transformers too.

The USB thing could be an option although you're the first positive comment on them I think I've seen so far :P

I believe it's actually switchable between 110/115/215/230V +-10%, or so it says in the service manual. The scope is a Kikusui COS-5041 by the way.

Assuming a packaged weight of roughly 8-8.5kg,  it will cost just under $100 to ship by air to Canada. Speedpost/EMS would be an additional $15 or so.

I hope SeanB won't mind it if you do decide to take it. You are the original starter of this thread after all :)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »
If he does decide to take it I will not mind, I will be second fiddle for sure here.

Sigh, looking at the wallet I am waiting for payday, $5 left for this month, had a lot of things to pay and some unexpected ones as well. Hope fully Tuesday it will look better ( Monday is a public holiday along with Sunday here) money wise.

taiga

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
It's all yours SeanB! Just got my hydro bill and it's a big one :(

Oh well all in good time.

Thanks so much for the offer Frankie

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
A pleasure reading all the posts. Franky please send me the shipping costs to SA for Sean...I owe the good gent.

Ben, send me a personal message with your address. I have an ATTEN / Zytron DSO...that sometimes hangs....but it'll get you started.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
Martin, you are a naughty guy!

TorqueRanger

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
A pleasure reading all the posts. Franky please send me the shipping costs to SA for Sean...I owe the good gent.

Ben, send me a personal message with your address. I have an ATTEN / Zytron DSO...that sometimes hangs....but it'll get you started.

Cheers,
Martin.
That's pretty nice of you ...
I hope he takes you up on your offer  and shows it off cause I would love the chance for it ...

taiga

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 07:44:33 AM »

Cheers,
Martin.

Oh my! PMed good sir

TorqueRanger

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »

Cheers,
Martin.

Oh my! PMed good sir

Also just  remember there might be a Import tax That your responsible for when you receive it ....

taiga

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:39 PM »
As a gift (no customes declaration of sale/receipt) between US and Canada I dont believe there is, but regardless I dont mind paying that if there is.
Thanks for the consideration :)