Author Topic: Power supply from server  (Read 7234 times)

Antraciet

Power supply from server
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
I have a power supply, bought secund hand, 2 in fact, identical. See specs in the pictures. I am sure they are working, i can measure the 3 and 5 volts. For the standby functions i guess for those old servers.
Now, there is a bridge to make, but i don't know how i can find that out on the board. For a little computer supply is simple : the green and a black wire  :)
But here, i don't know, and i am not going to try something. I looked a few hours on the net, but can't find nothing about the pin layout. How can i measure this out ?
Someone can help me ? thanks.

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
Re: Power supply from server
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
Yes it is a DELL and you have run out of luck. 
It gets activated by the circuitry of the motherboard.
And actually it gets totally monitored by it, so to turn it off, if the voltages gets out of the specified ones.

In order to feel good again with out using it, just think that you found  the half of a power supply.  :)

ModemHead

• Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
If this is anything like a regular PC power supply, I would expect the power-on input to be internally pulled up to very near, but not quite, the 5V standby voltage.  Measure the voltages on the small tracks of the edge connector to try and find a line like that.  Hopefully you will find only one.  Use a 470-ohm resistor to briefly ground that line and see what happens.  The 470R should limit current to 11mA, in case of a mistake.

I have no idea if this will work, but it's what I would try in the absence of better advice.

Antraciet

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »
And actually it gets totally monitored by it, so to turn it off, if the voltages gets out of the specified ones.

In order to feel good again with out using it, just think that you found  the half of a power supply.  :)
Really ?  :( Can't I monitore it ?  :D I get some voltage out of it : 3,77 and 5,1 and i saw on youtube people using it and making a working supply of it, not this specified model though.

Antraciet

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:35 AM »
If this is anything like a regular PC power supply, I would expect the power-on input to be internally pulled up to very near, but not quite, the 5V standby voltage.  Measure the voltages on the small tracks of the edge connector to try and find a line like that.  Hopefully you will find only one.  Use a 470-ohm resistor to briefly ground that line and see what happens.  The 470R should limit current to 11mA, in case of a mistake.

I have no idea if this will work, but it's what I would try in the absence of better advice.
Ok, i will do that later this day, i shall note all the voltages i can measure. And look further on the net to find the pin layout.

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:08:25 AM »
I would guess the 3V line is the power line, as this probably only has a single 5V standby supply.

Antraciet

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »
Dell 4G856 PowerEdge 1500 1500SC Power Supply, 350W Redundant pin layout pins bridge bypass

----
I put some keywords, so we can help other people when they are looking on the net when they have the same problem with this particular power supply, if the moderator don't mind.
But i think i found some usefull info on this forum : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11640787&postcount=7 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358340&page=2
People are helping eachother to get it work. I don't see mine in between the pics, but i read further.

Update, i think is this one : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382457&highlight=nps330bb
We don't need to reinvent the hot water, do we ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:49:14 AM by Antraciet »

Antraciet

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »

Is working my best friend  ;D
I followed the man in the other forum.
A bridge between the 3rd pin and the ground, and to keep it working, a lamp on the 5 volts. I measure 12 volts between the ground and the 6th pin, i tried with a car-radio and it works fine.

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
Good cheap and reasonably reliable power supply for general purpose use.

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
Is working my best friend  ;D

My experiences are are coming from more complex HP servers.
I am happy for you that you made it to work.

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »
Was cheaper to change the whole server than replace the dead power supply, as it was only 3 years on but obsolete............ Went to an Intel case.

Antraciet

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
Good cheap and reasonably reliable power supply for general purpose use.
Exactly Sean. For a car radio, my old CB, test something,... they won't running 24 hours a day. And they don't make noice, like i saw a youtubde video, one makes noice like a vacuumcleaner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT51Pi_dues&feature=related

I paid 20 € (25,85 $) for 2. He asked 30 € first, but of course, no one was interested  :D