Author Topic: Fluke 17b..and fake Fluke TL175 Leads  (Read 32304 times)

Majes

Re: Fluke 17b..and fake Fluke TL175 Leads
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:43 PM »
I think their reply is very interesting and telling. I'd guess they believe they are counterfeit also as they were compared by a man owing  the "real Fluke" leads. Had they not thought so I think they would have explained the difference in some way...

retiredcaps

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 02:13:26 AM »
Had they not thought so I think they would have explained the difference in some way...
If Fluke "fluked up" in oops manufacturing, there is no way they would admit it in a public forum.

iloveelectronics

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 02:41:05 AM »
Had they not thought so I think they would have explained the difference in some way...
If Fluke "fluked up" in oops manufacturing, there is no way they would admit it in a public forum.

I know for a fact that there's an OEM factory in China of a certain reputable brand that is trying to off load a small batch of equipments that is slightly faulty. So these things do happen in China.
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

retiredcaps

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »
Martin,

Have you informed the ebay seller he is selling fake probes?  If wonder if you would get a genuine replacement set or some money back?

jamesp15

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
I have a set of TL175E's and TL175's as well. 

The TL175's are grey/black color like the set you received with the 17b, they look identical in all ways but one. (the strain relief on the shrouded end is different then that set, they are identical to the TL175E's strain relief.) and also have a somewhat rough retract of the probe compared to the 175E's.  My employer received them from a fluke authorized dealer about a year ago.  Will try and get some side by side pics of the 2, if I can manage to get them out of the work area there without getting into trouble. (Not allowed to have cameras or even cell phones into my workplace lab area.)

The ones you received may well be a cost reduced version for the chinese market.  They did it with the "usual" probes that come with the 17B, which are crap IMO.

The TL175E's have yellow surrounding the "Fluke" on them, and smooth retracts for the shrouds.  I keep a set in my on-site kit, though I much prefer the feel/size of the good ole TL-71's.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:11 AM »
I'm still keen to get an answer from Fluke and I'm thinking of posting a further video on the subject after one of my viewers sent me this communication:

"After viewing your YouTube video where you showed the difference between the leads supplied with your Fluke 17B and the Fluke TL178 TwistGuard leads, I started to panic as I had ordered a set of  TL175 TwistGuard leads off of Ebay a few weeks ago. What I received were the same as what you received with your 17B, so I sent an email to fluke Australia for more information and below is the reply I received."

The "first image" my viewer included was of the "genuine" Fluke TL175 leads that I also have:
http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Accessories/Test-Leads-Probes-and-Clips/TL175.htm?PID=70420&trck=tl175

The second image was of the "original" (noted by my eBay seller) TL175's (fake or dodge production version??)

Fluke Australia response to my viewer:

"While we supply the TL175 as per the first image, as far as I can tell the unit you have received is authentic but I’m not sure if they are a Chinese version"

So...I have issue with this...some of the key points advertised and noted by Fluke on the TL175's:

"Patented TwistGuard™ extendable tip shroud meets the highest electrical safety requirements to reduce tip exposure while providing the versatility needed for most measurements
New WearGuard™ lead wire wear indication. Each test lead is covered by two layers of silicone insulation; inner contrasting color is exposed when the leads are nicked, scuffed, or otherwise damaged and in need of replacement
Double insulated silicone leads. TL175 test leads withstand high temperatures and remain flexible in cold temperatures.
Extra-heavy duty strain relief on both probe-end and plug-end, tested beyond 30,000 bends without failure.
Universal input plugs are compatible with all instruments that accept standard 4 mm shrouded banana plugs
Ratings: CAT II 1000 V, CAT III 1000 V, CAT IV 600 V, 10 A max., Pollution Degree 2
TL175E also available. Includes removable 4 mm lantern tips that thread onto the lead tip
Probes always show correct category rating for tip being used
Environmental ratings: -20 °C to 55 °C (-4 °F to 131 °F), altitude: 2000 m (6,562 ft)
Conforms to EN61010-031
One-year warranty"

The "Fluke" TL175 leads I have certainly don't comply on certain of the points noted above. I'm about to (on camera) cut the lead to see if there is double insulation and the "WearGuard™".

If these are fake...then Fluke clearly need to state that. If they are produced by Fluke....how can they have the same name (TL175) as this is VERY misleading to say the least..

I will leave feedback for my eBay seller once the picture / origin of these "Fluke" TL175 leads becomes clearer.... 
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
I'm just about to edit and post the video on the "Fluke" TL175 Leads....

Here is the result after cutting one of the leads of the "original" Fluke TL175's I received with the Fluke 17b off eBay....

It certainly looks like these have the  "WearGuard™" that Fluke advertise....so these are either an elaborate copy  / fake / knock-off...or manufactured by Fluke.

The "Patented TwistGuard™ on these eBay TL175's is very stiff and does not work very well...the plastic used by the "TwistGuard™" feels inferior.

I still say...if these are made by Fluke, they should have some name change or version number to show that they are different....your thoughts?

Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

iloveelectronics

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
The TL175 leads I ordered from China (just the leads, no meter) should arrive later this week and I'll do the same thing and cut it up and report here.

I still believe in my own theory that these are Fluke's made-for-Chinese-only TL175's. There can't possibly be much demand for the "western" much more expensive version TL175's in the domestic Chinese market and these Chinese TL175's aren't supposed to be sold to other markets anyway, so in an ideal world without eBay and parallel importers there wouldn't have been any confusion. It's rather common in China for products to have a domestic version and an export version, sharing the same model number, but having different interface language/packaging/documentation/pricing.
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
Decent amount of copper in there, certainly the most expensive part. Most likely as Frankie says these are an "internal market" item and are most likely not a fake.

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
Some light in regard of this Fluke document .

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/about/press/new-tl175-twistguard-test-leads.htm

1) Fluke’s first leads with WearGuard™ insulation.   = We just using it, its not OUR IDEA.... and good for them because they are not making cables.

2) The universal input plugs work with all popular brands of digital multimeters with 4 mm input jacks.  = We just using it, its not OUR IDEA.... and good for them because they are not making plugs. 

3)  announced today the availability of the new TL175 TwistGuard™ Test Leads, the only test leads in the world with a manually adjustable test tip guard
Yes the final lead idea it looks to belong to Fluke.

Summury of all the above, the cable and banana it is new universal designs which follow the new safety directives.
In simple words those materials can not be used as proofs of authentichy of such or similar products.   

Kiriakos GR

• ITTSB.EU
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
Martin this pictured side cutter is terible.  :) 
But this is expected from a 12$  set of tools.

Monkeh

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

Well then, you clearly have money to spare, send him some better ones! ;)

retiredcaps

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
It's rather common in China for products to have a domestic version and an export version, sharing the same model number, but having different interface language/packaging/documentation/pricing.
If Fluke have done the above for the TL175, that is a terrible branding decision to have two identical product numbers but different packaging.

I know there is a Fluke 117C and Fluke 115C from various ebay auctions.  You can clearly see the "C" in the photo and can see Chinese writing on the back of the battery cover.  Internally, they may or may not be the same?  But at least the buyer knows this is meant for the China market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221176074309

Kiriakos GR

• ITTSB.EU
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:40 AM »

Well then, you clearly have money to spare, send him some better ones! ;)

If he is capable to buy an Agilent scope, he does not need any help from my side.   

This cheapo set of tools is about hobbyists which open up mobile phones, and in this regard I am an hobbyist.

ModemHead

• Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
It's rather common in China for products to have a domestic version and an export version, sharing the same model number, but having different interface language/packaging/documentation/pricing.
If Fluke have done the above for the TL175, that is a terrible branding decision to have two identical product numbers but different packaging.
Absolutely true.  I for one didn't know that you apparently have to get the "E" version to get the "good" ones.  They're all generally referred to as TL175s, so I suspect I am not alone.

Edit: upon further research I see that the "E" suffix is for the ones that come with lantern tips.  Still makes no sense to have two vastly different products with the same model number.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:43:39 PM by ModemHead »