Author Topic: Fluke 17b..and fake Fluke TL175 Leads  (Read 34933 times)

leniwiec

Re: Fluke 17b..and fake Fluke TL175 Leads
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
I just want to notice that double layer isolation (with different color eg. whit+black/red) are nothing special. For example silicon cable which I buy at local store for about 1Eur / m, have it! ;-)

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
True, it has been a mandatory thing for mains cabling for decades, though it is only recently it is being advertised in test leads.

leniwiec

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
And one more thing that I just notice, that banana plug on this "not genuine" test leads are the same as on my old genuine test lead (TL-75)

retiredcaps

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 02:56:20 AM »
With Martin's pending review of the Fluke 17B and knowing that some viewers may be interested in purchasing one, I noticed a few suspicious ebay listings in the last week (Jan 28, 2013) that potential buyers should be aware of.

The sellers are listing the Fluke 15B, 17B and 18B for a fairly low Buy It Now price, but shipping is $50 USD. These sellers also have no feedback (zero) and the terms of their customer service is very suspect.  For example, they will gladly accept any defective items back minus the cost of original shipping.

Ebay buyer protection may or may not cover you, but why take the chance?

Also, keep in mind, there is NO WARRANTY from Fluke on any of the above multimeters once they are shipped outside China.  I would also caution buyers that the seller's warranty is likely WORTHLESS and the cost of shipping the multimeter back to China is cost prohibitive.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:29:20 AM by retiredcaps »

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 03:46:17 AM »
Thanks retiredcaps for that info.

Another important note about the "Fluke" leads I received from ebay is the actual banana plugs themselves. There are different connector types that have specific names that I don't have to hand.

The first picture is of a banana plug without a shroud so you can clearly see a good quality connector type. This is the type used in good multimeter / Fluke leads.

The connector type in the leads I received off ebay is the cheap "splayed apart" type that get squeezed together over time and become loose.

The second picture shows these types in shrouded leads....top shrouded lead is the ebay lead....bottom is a genuine Fluke lead.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:35 AM »
Another bit of news / rumour....Fluke might be releasing a Fluke 17B version for the international market...I'm hoping to get my hands on one through official channels soon...
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

ModemHead

• Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 08:31:04 AM »
The connector type in the leads I received off ebay is the cheap "splayed apart" type that get squeezed together over time and become loose.
In my experience, it is the material and build quality that is more important than the design. The 'cage' type design is just as susceptible to weakening over time and becoming loose, as the 'split' design.

The plugs on the old standard Fluke TL75 leads are made with the split design, and I have quite a few very old pairs of them that still grip as tightly as when they were new.

retiredcaps

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 10:18:11 PM »
Virtually all my multimeters have "permanent" probes.  I rarely disconnect them and I rarely measure current.

Majes

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 02:12:16 AM »
Interesting comment caps, I'm wondering if you simply have enough high quality bench meters you measure current with or you depend on clamp meters for such things, or whether you ever measure current on the bench ????

My leads, because I don't work in the field or anywhere else for that mater, are always disconnected from my meters and hanging on hooks about my bench. When I intend to use a set for any kind of current I chose one of the 10 or 12 quality leads from those hooks, but I must say, I really reach for the shorter leads most of the time like the very affordable silicone leads I got from Franky.

But, I am curious, do you simply have no need to measure current caps ?

retiredcaps

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:06 AM »
But, I am curious, do you simply have no need to measure current caps ?
In real life, the only time I have ever needed to measure current was on my car battery because I thought I had a parasitic car battery drain.

If I get a "new to me" multimeter, then I might measure current consumption to see what I can expect for battery life.

I participate in the forums over at badcaps.net helping people fix electronics and it is rare that I ask people to measure current.  So even in my "virtual" life, I rarely measure current.

I also don't design circuits or even have a breadboard.  As such,  I don't have any bench multimeters or current clamps.

PS. With the price of Fluke fuses, I have even more incentive not to measure current!  ;D

retiredcaps

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 04:31:51 AM »
I have also noticed that some older original Fluke 87s are missing their plastic guard towers presumably either to unshrouded leads or too many insertions/removals?

See this auction's picture for an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300832503757

Replacement input jacks are in the > $30 range.

retiredcaps

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »
The sellers are listing the Fluke 15B, 17B and 18B for a fairly low Buy It Now price, but shipping is $50 USD.
As I mentioned, some ebay sellers are trying "trick" buyers with a low BIN price, but with high shipping.  >:(

Well, eventually karma comes into play. 

A seller listed a Fluke 15B for a BIN of $14.99, but screwed up on the shipping costs.  Instead of putting $50, they put $5 (five) dollars.  At least 6 people hit BIN and presumably completed the paypal transaction ASAP.

When sellers play those high shipping costs shell games to take advantage of the buyer, I have no sympathy when they screw up and I hope ebay forces them to honor the deal or the buyers give them negatives.

PS. This seller has over 7,000 transactions so it is not a newbie.