Author Topic: Solar without charge controller / battery  (Read 4220 times)

Dryadwoods

Solar without charge controller / battery
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
Hello :)

I started "playing" with solar power with my new 40w panels (2x), charge controller, battery, DC-AC inverter, cigar/light socket, fuse, etc.... and it's working great.

However, I was wondering if it would be possible to have a way to remove the battery and charge control from this equation in order to plug and 50w laptop (or using the DC-AC inverter with the laptop transformer and once again AC to DC with lose of efficiency, etc....) with a  DC-DC inverter from 12V to 19V.

Since I basically know zero from electronics I think this would be possible, but I do not know if there is already some "device" to transform the solar power in a way to be able to use it, or maybe myself build a "board" to do it.

I know that the MPPT chargers have the "intelligence" to do it the way I need, but they always work with a battery, so I can not use them. I think I just need "something" to use the solar power and always convert it to 12v (to plug the DC-DC inverter after) and use the rest for the output amps (but always no more than the laptop needs).

What do you guys have to say about this? Is there already that does this? How am I able to carry "just" the solar panels and the laptop without lots of kilograms of batteries?

Thank you a lot.

Barryg41

Re: Solar without charge controller / battery
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
This a boost converter that has wide input and output range. It can put out 6a continous but I think you only need 3.3A for your laptop.

Here's a link to it on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-DC-DC-Converter-Boost-10-32V-to-12-35V-150W-Step-Up-Voltage-Power-Supply-/221020322291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3375d679f3#ht_3350wt_922

Here's a quick spec list:
Input volt. 10-32v
Output volt  12-35 adjustable
Output current up to 6 amps

Cheers Barry

birrbert

Re: Solar without charge controller / battery
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
I don't know how trustworthy or dependable are these boost converter devices, but if they work, then they are very nice and handy. No need for battery, charge controller or any inverter. Just an adequate solar panel plus this device plus laptop wired together and of course nice sunshine.

The reason I'm using the words trustworthy and dependable is because this device has to be wired directly to the laptop and if something goes wrong (i.e. it starts to put out too much Voltage), there's nothing to protect the laptop from frying (except if there's a fuse or something implemented). So I would put it to a serious test and take precise measurements before attempting to use it live with a laptop.

edit: it would be great to hear about people's own experience who tried it.
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum." Descartes