Author Topic: CEM DT-337 AC/DC Clamp Meter with mA resolution  (Read 7490 times)

iloveelectronics

CEM DT-337 AC/DC Clamp Meter with mA resolution
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
Martin had a review of his GTC CM100 clamp meter which offers up to 1mA resolution. He talks about it again in his most recent T4D#46.

Another forum viewer of his contacted me recently and asked me to find something similar to the GTC meter, and I found this CEM DT-337. This particular unit pictured here is actually the one I'm going to send to this viewer as a "lightly used" unit as I told him I would just give it some quick tests etc. as I want to see for myself if it is worth stocking in the future.

Anyway, eBay and forum sales have kept me rather busy lately so I didn't really have much time to play with it. But from the few minutes I spent on it I must admit I quite like it personally.

DC current readings look good with the 1 mA resolution. Obviously being a clamp meter it's difficult to get very accurate reading but the readings are definitely not far off (zeroing before measurement is essential though).

Voltage measurements based on my DMMCheck Plus and PentaRef are well within specs.

Screen update speed is faster than the GTC, at about 3 times per second I reckon, not bad at all.

Continuity tester is surprisingly quick, though scratchy (with the leads that come with it). With a pair of good leads the scratchiness isn't as bad.

The leads that come with the meter are not silicone, but do feel quite soft and nice. There are markings on the leads that read 80 degree C and 2000V. The probe tips will require some cleaning though.

As can be seen from the pictures the meter I have is blue, which is different from what's shown on its box, which is yellow. I believe the blue one is the latest version, as the warranty card inside says this unit actually only just came out of the factory on Jan 8, 2013. And believe it or not, it even has a time stamp on it, it says 2:10 :)

It has a green backlight too, but it's not very even. You can clearly see 3 green LEDs coming on at the bottom of the display. The backlight doesn't time out, it stays on for as long as you want, until you switch it off.

Judging from what I've seen, there's a fairly good chance I am going to stock some of these after the Chinese New Year.

Cheers,
Franky
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:23:56 AM by iloveelectronics »
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: CEM DT-337 AC/DC Clamp Meter with mA resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:54:47 PM »
What price point? I would like my next meter to have both DC clamp and True RMS on AC as well.

iloveelectronics

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
What price point? I would like my next meter to have both DC clamp and True RMS on AC as well.

I still need to confirm that but it should be under $120. It is not True RMS though.

This meter seems to be also rebadged under the Extech 380950 name.

ttp

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
Coincidentally I bought same meter couple of months ago. Different name and colours but exactly same shape, buttons and ranges. Seems to work quite ok, I only use it as clamp meter but quick check of other functions revealed reasonable accuracy for voltage and resistance.

Don't remember the name but 337 is there (I think they all named after Fluke 337 clamp meter). I'm not at home so can't take a picture, found only small image on the net. Just noticed mine is same colours as picture on your box.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:15:17 PM by ttp »

iloveelectronics

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:20:48 PM »
How much is this meter in Australia? I'm likely to stock the DT-337 once CNY is over as I quite like it myself with the few days I spent with it :)

Coincidentally I bought same meter couple of months ago. Different name and colours but exactly same shape, buttons and ranges. Seems to work quite ok, I only use it as clamp meter but quick check of other functions revealed reasonable accuracy for voltage and resistance.

Don't remember the name but 337 is there (I think they all named after Fluke 337 clamp meter). I'm not at home so can't take a picture, found only small image on the net. Just noticed mine is same colours as picture on your box.