Author Topic: My original ESR meter.  (Read 3326 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
My original ESR meter.
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Thought I would show my original ESR meter, made circa 1996. It has served me well over the years, running from 8VAC supplied from a wall wart that used to power a MWeb junk POTS modem ( they were very cheap, and I used to get a lot that had not survived lightning, mostly because the owners did not use the lightning arrestor supplied with it, or did not connect it correctly, you needed to plug it into the power unit.) that was turned into parts.

Front panel with the relabelled meter, done with a Rotring pen after blanking the original scale with correction fluid. Here showing zero, just needs a slight adjustment after many years of use.

ESR meter by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

The actual electronics. All opamps are 741's, and they are perfect in this application. A lot of the components, along with the case and meter movement, were salvaged stuff, but they were tested and checked before use.

ESR inside by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

In use showing the ESR of a 10uF polypropylene capacitor, really big unit from a dead anti theft unit.

Really good cap by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Checking the other big capacitor, it is also perfect.

Another good cap by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Just for fun, i wanted to check my power resistor, NOS, and only a little younger than me.

resistor test by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Another one of this nice resistor...

Resistor in case by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

And again.

Dummy load by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

And just for fun, a 50R 100W power resistor, the old fashioned version of the electronic dummy load......

Dummy load resistor by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: My original ESR meter.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:21:51 AM »
Classic! Love the dummy load!
Thanks for the post.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)