Author Topic: My Solar Wiring Diagram  (Read 3183 times)

madmikey

My Solar Wiring Diagram
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:03:26 AM »
Hi Everyone.

I live in Australia, and this is what I am about to install on my shed (attached).  The shed is only small, 3.5x3.5 meters.

The usage will primarily be for a 12v system as indicated by 12v LED flood lights (night use), 12v LED TV, 12v Radio/CD and 12v interior LED lights.

As I also want to use some small power tools such as a bench grinder (150w), multi-tool (80w), soldering iron (30w), cordless drill charger (85w). I would think nothing over 200w that springs to mind that I would actually use in the shed, so have also put in some 220v outlets and an inverter.

Australia has strict standards and regulations when it comes to both solar setups and also reticulated (mains) voltage use.  This system will be completely stand alone from the grid.

I am a technician that deals with electronics and circuits all day, so have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to circuits.

I use the shed probably 2-3 times a week so I really don't need to go over board with the power and storage. Even during winter there is only about 2-3 days a week where there is not full sunlight.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments or thoughts on any improvements I can make before installing it all.  I know I can improve efficiency by using a 24v setup but I am only installing 1 PV panel and battery initially until I have the money to get the second PV panel and battery.

If anyone would like more info, please also let me know.

Thanks.

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: My Solar Wiring Diagram
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:56:37 AM »
I would recommend giving each battery it's own isolator, rather than one for the two. I would also use 6mm cable to the batteries, or double up on the 4mm cable so you get a lower voltage drop on them. A fuse or breaker of 10A on the 12V output as well will be good. When putting it all in, add an earth wire to the panel frame, and connect the negative lead of the panel to it as well, will help with static pickup in storms. Earth the DC side separate to the AC side, and make a good connection to the rods, use a 6mm cable to do the connection from the shed to the rod, and use grease on the connection to the rod to reduce corrosion.