Author Topic: Introduce yourself topic!  (Read 29764 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Introduce yourself topic!
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 07:59:42 AM »
There seems to be a lack of remembering that all were new at some time or the other. I find that generally after a week or two the memory vanishes that you were once a new member, and you become accepted.

Welcome anyway, and feel free to ask questions, if they are easy or hard you will get an answer, as either you want to know or have a new angle on something.

Jim JKla

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
Looks like I am the latest member.  I found your Tubes and its refreshing parts that were abandoned circa 1974 I have done little bits since but I have recently needed to do some revision and your stuff has prooved useful so I have been more than happy to subscribe. 

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
Great to have you aboard Jim and glad to hear the videos have helped.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

rb1

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
Hi all,

I'm Paul and live in the UK.  I came across this forum through mljorton's fine reviews on equipment.

I'm a beginner when it comes to electronics and I'm sure to ask you experts loads of basic questions in the future! :)

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Welcome Paul! Thanks for the post and I hope you find yourself at home here.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Faxe

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
Hello everyone.
I'm Ferry Bijl from the Netherlands, I am 61 years old, I live in Arnhem near a beautiful National Park where I have worked the previous 15 years. One of my hobbies is nature photography. I am very interested in insects, especially close focus.
As I became unemployed some time ago without hope for a new job I became interested in building a special rig for macrophotography. In close up photography one of the largest problems is the lack of depth of field. Focussing on the eyes of a wasp throws the antennae out of focus etc.; only a slice is in focus. One way to overcome this is a technique called photostacking: place your camera on a rails, focus, take a picture, replace the camera a certain, small distance, focus, take a shot, replace ...etc. You end up with 10 or 50 or 150 pictures with each having a different part of the insect in focus. With the help of special software you finally end up with a photo that is sharp from start to end.
One of the ways to do this is by using a Stackshot rig from http://www.cognisys-inc.com/home_cogn.php but that would set me back some $750 before I have it here in Holland. So I thought to build it myself. Apart from the hardware there is the problem of controlling the movements of the rig. Of course it is possible to do it by hand but for a real close-up photo it is sometimes necessary to take more than 100 pictures, each maybe only 10 micrometers (sic!) apart from the other; rather tedious to do by hand. A stepper motor and a controlbox would have to do the job.
And that is where I am now: searching for possibilities to do it with Arduino. I have only just started, I have no experience with programming but I like what I have found already.
The way is half the fun!
And that is how I finally arrived on this forum. Looking for info I found Martin on YouTube talking about multimeters and I liked that a lot: supplying me with the needed info but in a way that attracted me from the beginning: a clear voice, (very important for non-english people!) and very sympathetic, open and not afraid to admit being wrong. I like that very much. Thanks Martin.
This has become a rather extensive hello, but that is me.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
Welcome aboard! Thanks for the introduction and the interesting background. It's certainly an interesting challenge and I'm sure you'll have fun and learn a great deal along the way. Do share your experience as I know there are several folk on this forum that enjoy photography and the technical side behind it.

Cheers,
Martin.

cheesestraws

• James Joyce Was Korean
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 06:21:07 AM »
Hello!

After lurking the YouTube channel for a while I thought I'd come and attempt to be sociable.

I'm Rob, from the UK.  I'm a software person mostly: by trade I mostly run Internet-connected (BGP) networks and/or write software to run them for me but I take on all kinds of weird software projects if they're interesting (at the moment I'm working on some software for the innards of a train simulator).  Also am finishing a Computer Science Ph.D thesis, so my brain is leaking from my ears a lot.

Armed with an antique oscilloscope, a couple of cheap multimeters, and a peculiar array of components I'm trying to learn a bit more about electronics, partly because it feels like a big hole in my digital systems knowledge, partly because I want to start building my own musical instruments, and partly for the fun of it.

I expect to learn a lot and I might even manage to be vaguely useful on occasion (!).

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Hello Rob,

Thanks very much for the intro and welcome to the board.

Cheers,
Martin.

TVman

• Life is A bunch of people staring at computers.
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 11:16:56 PM »
Hi,
My name is Hunor. (who-nor) And I'm 11
I'm from the USA.
I was born in Florida somewhere.
I am now currently living in S0outh Dakota.
I'm also Homeschooling too. :D
So far I have A 1474 BK precision, 30MHz ocilloscope
And a crappy 5 dollar Multimeter.

Hunor :D
Yeah, I play Minecraft!
But I'm on here & EEVBlog more because I learn more. :D

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
Welcome Hunor...great to have some young blood aboard!

And Paul....fascinating intro....good to have some older blood too ;)

Prototype

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:42 AM »
Hello, My name is Alex and I am very new to electronics. I am from California, USA and because of social anxiety I spend the majority of my time hidden away in my bedroom, I decided I needed a hobby and after watching one MJLorton video I was hooked. Though I know little as of now, I hope someday in the future I will be able to make a contribution to help a beginner whose in the same situation as myself.

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 07:04:48 AM »
Welcome Alex!!  electronics is a great hobby to have - very rewarding!    well, as I too shut myself away in my lab room for hours working on stuff,  and so do probably many others here - you should fit right in! ;-)
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

TechJunkie

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »
Hello, My name is Alex and I am very new to electronics. I am from California, USA and because of social anxiety I spend the majority of my time hidden away in my bedroom, I decided I needed a hobby and after watching one MJLorton video I was hooked. Though I know little as of now, I hope someday in the future I will be able to make a contribution to help a beginner whose in the same situation as myself.

Welcome! I love to see new people getting interested in electronics. I am 52 and have been in the electronics field since 1984 and even as a child I would tear everything apart to see how it worked. Once you have the passion, it's a wonderful journey filled with great satisfaction. I will tell you the most important first step, get a solid foundation in the basics and fundamentals of electronics. Learn the physics behind how the forces work and how atoms and electrons behave. This will help you accelerate in the learning process and understand the engineering aspects of circuit design.

I would be happy to answer any questions you have along the way. I was teaching for a short while and thinking about getting back into it. It's something I like to do!  ;)
Eric Haney
Systems Programmer, EE, MCSE, DMC
SilverCore Labs

Chriznak

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »
I'm Christopher. Hello World.