Author Topic: Arduino Powered ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch)  (Read 10507 times)

skullcandy

Arduino Powered ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch)
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:34:10 AM »
Hello guys
This is my first ever post form me on this forum !
I was working on a project of making an Arduino (NANO) Controlled  ATS (and hoping for u guys to help me on which hardware to use and on code-ing as I don’t know much about programming  !)
Which Can Do The Following (or at-least some of them) ;) :
M1   
Monitor the status of One Mains (220v) Input
M2   
Monitor the status of One Generator (220v) Output
C1
Control One 220v Contractors (220v coil not 12v or 24v)
C2
Control The Other 220v Contractors (220v coil not 12v or 24v)
R1
Turn On the Engine by Activating ONE Relay (any relay 5v or 12v)
R2
Turn Off the Engine by Deactivating ONE Relay (any relay 5v or 12v)
R3
Fan Relay to Cool the Generator
MT1
Monitor Ambient Temperature of the Air Flow inside the Generator Canopy
MT2
Monitor Ambient Temperature of Engine
RF
Clicking a relay and if temp exceeds 50 degrees Celsius to Activate a 12v Fan
Time Delays
All The Time Delay and Waiting Variables are in Seconds and are serialized as Vx , e.g.. : V1 , V2

Now these were the Basic things it should do, so putting it all together and it should work :

Now what it should do is , it should monitor  the main Power Line (220v for sure) using M1 and control the rest of the relays and stuff .

Standby And Ignition Phase :
If my main line goes down the Arduino  deactivates R2 and after a given time (V1) checks if there is no generator output using M2 if its already producing electricity  it should then activate C2 deactivating C1 (to protect the generator being back feed or exporting electricity back to the main line ) After a Time Delay (V2).
And if there is no output from the generator it should Activate R1  for a about 3 Seconds (V3) For The First time  and check if there is an output on M2  if not then activate R1 for 5 Seconds  and again check if there is output on M2 if not activate R1 again for about 7 Seconds this time and If there is output on M2 it should activate C2 after 2 seconds (To Stabilize the output of the generator) .
If The Generator is up and running it should keep the R2 Deactivated !  And if it fails to start it should repeat the above steps every 30 min or so (V4). And if not it turns on a RED LED !

Change-Over Phase:
Now when the generator is up and running it should then activate C2 deactivating C1 (to protect the generator being back feed or exporting electricity back to the main line ) After a Time Delay (V2)

Monitoring Phase:
So now when everything is running someone has to monitor them , Rite ?
In the mean time it monitors the temperature sensors MT1 and MT2 and turn on the relay in the temp exceeds 50 degrees Celsius.
And in the Background monitor the main line if its back or not if not do noting and if yes then activate R2 and Deactivate R3.

Change-Over Phase:
Now when the Main Line is back and then activate R2 to shut down the generator ,  it should then deactivate C2 and activate C1 (to protect the generator being back feed or exporting electricity back to the main line ) After a Time Delay (V4)

It could also monitor the main line voltage and if it drops below 190 volts it could start the generator and put the main line on standby and wait for it to be above 200 volts , when the line is stabilized the generator could be turned off and contactors C1 is energized  !
Or Mail Me At al.ahsan@hotmail.com

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:07:49 AM by skullcandy »

Administrator

• Administrator
Re: Arduino Powered ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
Please replace the BMP with a jpeg.

Thanks.