Author Topic: DMMCheck Plus storage box - ESD concerns  (Read 3758 times)

Alexei Volkoff

DMMCheck Plus storage box - ESD concerns
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
I am making a project for storage box for my DMMCheck Plus. I've been storing it in the antistatic bag it came with but I 'd like to store it in a proper container to protected it from falls and an overly tidy wife (no, I don't have a dedicated working bench, which means the dinner table is often my bench :( )

I was thinking of just lining a box with high density ESD foam. I really don't know to what extent the components of the DMMCheck are sensitive to static, but regular high density foam seems a bit risky. I guess that if I use ESD foam the box should be made of conductive material or am I missing something here?

Where I live the air gets pretty dry in the summer - 30% RH is not unusual - hence, my ESD concerns. I do wear a properly grounded static wrist strap and working mat when working with sensitive components (mainly when  assembling/disassembling PCs).

Should I really be concerned with ESD in my DMMCheck storage box project? Any advice? Thank you.

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: DMMCheck Plus storage box - ESD concerns
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:30 AM »
Find a small plain jewellery box with a flip lid, and make a small panel so it is inside there so the flip lid covers it when not in use. That will provide protection from both ESD and from components being damaged physically.

Alexei Volkoff

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »
Thank your for your suggestion. When you mention a jewellery box, what material are you thinking of, exactly?

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
Wood is the best, but if you get a metal cased wooden box it will do as well. Really all you need is a small box the will have the board and battery safely mounted in it. Even a small Cigar box will do, you just have to sand it down and apply a coat or two of clear sealer to it.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »
Also...have a look at this video by NoMercy1900 who is on the forum as I recall -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMywek1HXNc
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)