Author Topic: AC to DC adapters in series to gain higher voltage  (Read 2001 times)

Queldaras

AC to DC adapters in series to gain higher voltage
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:55:46 AM »
Hello all,

I was wandering if it is possible to connect two or more AC to DC adapters in series in order to gain higher voltage output. I have tried to connect in series two adapters 12V 5A in series to gain 24V 5A voltage but it seems that when I connect, let's say, the 1st adapter possitive to the 2nd adapter negative, it short circuits. I figured that this is probably because it uses the same ground. They are both connected to the 220V/50Hz grid. Is there something I can do to bypass this problem ?

Thank you in advance,
Tasos

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: AC to DC adapters in series to gain higher voltage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:27:03 AM »
Often you can disconnect the output from the ground of the socket internally, but just be aware that often the internal insulation is not rated for a very high voltage relative to ground, but just using it to provide 24V should not harm it. You will have to look inside to find the connection to ground, without disconnecting the grounding to the input side filters and the primary side interference suppression components.