Author Topic: Daylight lighting  (Read 3515 times)

steve30

• Stephen Coates' Homepage
Daylight lighting
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »
Does anyone here have any kind of 'daylight' lighting set up? If so, I'd be interested to here what you have.

I've been playing with lighting for quite some time now. I got some daylight CFLs, which are 6000k and a CRI of >90. They are quite nice lamps, but I decided that, like my old 60W lightbulb, there was far too much glare.

So, I decided to build something new. I currently have 2x 58W fluorescent tubes along two sides of the room. They are connected to a dimmable ballast and are run at about half brightness. This works nicely with no glare, but the tubes are a slightly odd colour when dimmed. They are much better at full brightness, so I'm now going to replace these with smaller tubes which will be run at full brightness.

One of the tubes is an Osram Lumilux De Luxe 954, with a CRI of >90 and a temperature of 5400k. The other tube is a regular 840 tube. I only have one of the 954s so have to use something else in the other fitting.

For my next experiment, I'm going to use 2x 36W Osram Dulux L compact fluorescent tubes. as I've decided that physically smaller lamps will be better.

Attached are a couple of pictures showing the rather crude setup of the two 58W tubes.

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Daylight lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »
Try to find some T12 tubes first to try, as the physically larger tubes are much dimmer to look at, but give out the same volume of light for the power. Slightly less efficient but a lot easier on the eyes.

steve30

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:15 AM »
I don't know about in other countries, but here, pretty much everything is either T8, T5 or CFL. T12s are pretty much impossible to get unless you want a direct replacement for a very old fitting.

steve30

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
I've changed to the 36W Compact fluorescent 954 tubes. They are quite nice.

I also got a couple of 840s to try but haven't tried these yet. I've a feeling the 840s will be slightly better, but I'll have to play around and see.

On the subject of daylight lighting, has anyone tried lamps like the Philips Activiva? They are available as either 8000k or 17000K, with a high CRI and lots of blue content to make them resemble daylight. I's be intrigued to get one to see what they are like.