Author Topic: JuiceBox MK2 - an alternative to the ELBRO AC Solar Power Case  (Read 7233 times)

AB1BE

JuiceBox MK2 - an alternative to the ELBRO AC Solar Power Case
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
In Feb 2013 Martin reviewed the multifunction ELBRO AC Solar Power Case. He found that the ELBRO was not waterproof. I just found a similar portable very rugged power system in a box called the JuiceBox MK2 - made by Hardened Power Systems (Tennessee, USA). It is used by emergency responders and hams in the USA. Perhaps it's worth a look at the technology or even a review.

Here are the published specs:
· Case is enameled steel, welded at all seams, and given 3 coats of enamel paint.

· Hinged lid is sealed with a continuous rubber gasket and is removable.

· Inverter provides 450 watts constant, 900 watts surge.

· 40 Amp Hour LiFepO4 Battery Bank. · Battery life is 1,000 to 2,000 cycles - AMAZING.

· Digital meter displays real-time voltage of the batteries.

· Circuit breaker protects sensitive components—no fuses to replace or worry about.

· Two marine-grade 12 volt sockets for all common automotive devices.

· Two Anderson Power Pole connections for high-power, Low-loss 12 volt power.

· Two 115 VAC sockets, three prong, to power common ‘house power’ devices.

· Two 3 amp USB ports with twin buck transformers - powerful and very efficient.

· 10-amp Automatic Battery Charger - Worldwide automatic voltage.

· 10-amp Solar Controller, Auto-detect 12 or 24 volts, Easily handles up to 120 watts of solar panels.

· Tough, mil-spec foam ‘locks’ the system into the can to resist vibration and jarring.

· Dimensions: 12” x 13” x 5.5” Weight: 29 lbs 

More info at their site:
http://www.portableuniversalpower.com/JB_MK2-product.htm

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: JuiceBox MK2 - an alternative to the ELBRO AC Solar Power Case
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:09 AM »
I missed this post along the way....

Very nice product by the looks of things...I've just dropped them an email to see if I can get my hands on one for review...
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

AndreReid

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 02:54:42 AM »
In Feb 2013 Martin reviewed the multifunction ELBRO AC solar panel Case. He found that the ELBRO was not waterproof. I just found a similar portable very rugged power system in a box called the JuiceBox MK2 - made by Hardened Power Systems (Tennessee, USA). It is used by emergency responders and hams in the USA. Perhaps it's worth a look at the technology or even a review.

Here are the published specs:
· Case is enameled steel, welded at all seams, and given 3 coats of enamel paint.

· Hinged lid is sealed with a continuous rubber gasket and is removable.

· Inverter provides 450 watts constant, 900 watts surge.

· 40 Amp Hour LiFepO4 Battery Bank. · Battery life is 1,000 to 2,000 cycles - AMAZING.

· Digital meter displays real-time voltage of the batteries.

· Circuit breaker protects sensitive components—no fuses to replace or worry about.

· Two marine-grade 12 volt sockets for all common automotive devices.

· Two Anderson Power Pole connections for high-power, Low-loss 12 volt power.

· Two 115 VAC sockets, three prong, to power common ‘house power’ devices.

· Two 3 amp USB ports with twin buck transformers - powerful and very efficient.

· 10-amp Automatic Battery Charger - Worldwide automatic voltage.

· 10-amp Solar Controller, Auto-detect 12 or 24 volts, Easily handles up to 120 watts of solar panels.

· Tough, mil-spec foam ‘locks’ the system into the can to resist vibration and jarring.

· Dimensions: 12” x 13” x 5.5” Weight: 29 lbs 

More info at their site:
http://www.portableuniversalpower.com/JB_MK2-product.htm

Ya it seems to be effective alternate to solar power case. I would like to read true reviews about the product and then think about using it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:33:41 AM by AndreReid »

usmcvet

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »
I know this is an old post but I have one of the companies products. I have the Tough Pup MK2 which is essentially the same item except in a pelican case.

If anyone wants to know specifics I can answer them.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
I know this is an old post but I have one of the companies products. I have the Tough Pup MK2 which is essentially the same item except in a pelican case.

If anyone wants to know specifics I can answer them.

Are you happy with the build quality and performance?

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

usmcvet

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
Performance is good. If interested I figured out what most of the components are and where he buys them. I continue to have issues with one of the ammeters. Essentially there is a button that switched from showing current voltage on battery to out going amps. It gets stuck in the voltage position and randomly will allow me to get it back t showing amps.

I am just guessing but I am assuming the machined spot for it to fit was not done correctly because if I try and flex it from corner the clicky button will usually switch back to showing amps after a few attempts.

I actually sent it back for that issue and it still has it. Personally I can not recommend the company. He failed to ship it to me on multiple occasions as promised and when I sent it back for repair he ignored my emails for updates (ignored my emails for updates before he sent it first time as well). He also promised to pay return shipping back to me for repair then said that it would eat into his profits so I had to pay return shipping after he already said he would.

When I did get it back one of the ammeters were popped out of place and I found a spare screw in there as well as a lot of plastic from machining process and hot glue. Attention to detail was lacking but its a great concept.

Here are the main parts used to the best of my knowledge.
http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-prismatic-battery-12-8v-40ah-512wh-10c-rate---un38-3-passed-3-2vx4-dgr.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/Smart-Charger-10A-for-12.8V-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack.aspx

http://www.batteryspace.com/Smart-LED-Balance-Module-for-3.2V-LFP-Cell-with-250mA-Balance-Current-for-L.aspx

So those are the main components used. I almost forgot another issue with the design IMO is it does not ventilate the heat well enough. It has some holes for airflow but there is no fan other then the one on the inverter inside.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
Valuable insight into the product quality and company operation. Thanks for posting.

usmcvet

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:35:16 PM »
Just thought I would update a couple things. I had the universal AC charger go and had to replace it so I got a good look inside. I will take some pictures later and post if interested. Anyways his wires internally are crazy and all over the place. He removed the cover from the inverter and since I also use it for Amateur radio stuff I can't use the inverter at same time I am trying to do HF stuff because of the RFI.

Also today I went to turn it on and the device started to smoke so I had to take it apart in order to disconnect the battery to figure out what is going on in there. Also he does not have adequate ventilation for the components inside. Furthermore he skimped out on cheap boards for the Lifepo4 battery which basically bleeds the cells once they reach a certain voltage to ensure that they are equal and to prolong the battery life.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »
I would be very keen to see pictures of the internals...please post if you can.