Author Topic: Bad Trimmer Pot  (Read 1986 times)

Mr Eastwood

Bad Trimmer Pot
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
The other day I was setting up one of my new controller boards; and part of that process involves turning the trimmers to their maximum anti-clockwise position;  once the board was powered up, this one particular trimmer which was used to trim the LCD contrast didn't seem to make any difference when adjusted; So I knew instantly the trimmer was at fault so I just replaced it with another and it worked perfectly.

The problem seemed to be that when I initially quickly adjusted it to it's maximum anti-clockwise position, the wheel gear cog must have gone too far, and then wouldn't re-engage.

I've never experienced this before but might be something to bear in mind.  Luckily the LCD contrast made the screen visible; but had it failed in the clock-wise direction of turn, the LCD would have been blank;  and I would have certainly had to fire-up the scope to find out what was going on.

Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Bad Trimmer Pot
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
Nice to know, I normally turn them until they click and stop there, as then you can turn it back and it will engage.

TechJunkie

Re: Bad Trimmer Pot
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:50:19 PM »
I believe I remember having one do something like that many years ago. I think it re-engaged finally, and I was able to save it.
Eric Haney
Systems Programmer, EE, MCSE, DMC
SilverCore Labs