Author Topic: Analog meter movement review.  (Read 3548 times)

runem

Analog meter movement review.
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
Perhaps some will think this is a bit silly these days when everything gets displayed on LCD and LED displays, but sometimes analog movements are still wanted or maybe even needed. If I get positive feedback or requests for more reviews on movements that are readily available, I will consider doing them.

First one out is a 100uA movement bought on ebay made by "YSHENG" China. The quality actually surprised me a bit. It's well made one that wouldn't stand back too far from the ones made in "the good old days" by reputable manufacturers. It has metal inserts for most screws except those who keep the scale in place. The scale is easily removable for modification if needed. The plastic parts seems reasonably solid with good thickness. I cant find something wrong with it physically that's worth mentioning really. Unfortunately, no solder lugs was included (I made a couple from a tin can lid. Look further down at the picture) and it was shipped without any shortcut wire over the coil terminals, which is not that good for a sensitive meter like this.

A few crude data:
Accuracy class: 1.5
DC resistance: 2000 Ohms
FS. deflection: 200 millivolts
Size (W, H, D) mm: 99.4 x 79.5 x 59.4 (total)

Solder lugs was made. Do NOT solder wires to the lugs while the lugs are screwed on the meter!

A quick linearity and accuracy test.

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Analog meter movement review.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »
Nice meter movement. What is the actual meter resistance, easy to measure by giving full scale current and measuring the voltage drop. Most are around 10% tolerance resistance wise. If you want best accuracy you will need to have a temperature compensation in the divider if you are going to use it over a wide ambient temperature range.

runem

Re: Analog meter movement review.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
What is the actual meter resistance, easy to measure by giving full scale current and measuring the voltage drop.
I am a bit unsure if that was a question or not, but I put a 100k resistor in seres with it and measured the total resistance and then subtracted the 100k to give me the result.
Next meter up for evaluation is a 0-20V of the same type. It's most likely a 1mA meter with a dropping resistor built into it (which is more or less a standard for this voltage range). Lets see how accurate that resistor is (i have my doubts) and how to correct the (or)deal.  ;)