Author Topic: Open Source Solar BMS dev. board  (Read 3955 times)

electrodacus

Open Source Solar BMS dev. board
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:42:45 AM »
Hi Martin this is my first post here.
This was the hardest forum to register :) I see posting a new topic will not be much easier, I still need that Pi number.
At least I do not need to say again that I'm human. Yes I knew this before from another forum where I got this wrong the first time.

Hi to all forum members.
I'm not an AI most probably a human that not long ago moved offgrid (one of my long therm dream)
So I needed a way to store electrical energy and decided LiFePO4 was the best choice for me just made a video about that if you are curios https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkMk8djVUQk
Anyway I needed a way to charge this battery from solar and there was no product for this so I decided to make my own and that is how this Solar BMS was born.
It is basically a fully programmable BMS that can support 3 up to 8 cells of any type of Lithium recommended LiFePO4 since they are great for energy storage but can also work with Supercapacitors.
It was designed with two things in mind flexibility and low power (it only uses 25mW with the LCD backlight off that is just about 1mA with 8 cells)
Here is a short 3d presentation video I made is just 2min and there is also a 38 minute in dept presentation of the beta sample on my channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZt1oJ3n7jY
I will be happy to answerer any questions you may have about Solar BMS or LiFePO4 batteries (most people still use Lead Acid so there is a lot of debate about that) or any other questions you may have about my off-grid setup or anything else.
Here is a 3D render of how the Solar BMS will look like.

Dacian.

birrbert

Re: Open Source Solar BMS dev. board
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 06:26:43 AM »
Congratulations for the initiative! I find it nice and useful. You must have worked on it a lot, but for someone who worked for Siemens I believe that knowledge wasn't a big issue. Looking back to my early youth, I wish I had worked in the field of electronics, but sadly I was very bad in mathematics. Anyway, now that I realized how much fun I can have with electronics, I'm continuously learning and I'm always keeping an eye on new, exciting stuff that the more experienced are doing, so I thank you in this regard. :)

I'm hoping to get my hands on an SBMS1616 development board for learning purposes sometimes in the future and I have a question related to this because I didn't fully understand the description. If somebody would like to receive an assembled dev board does he/she need to become a backer on the Kickstarter project website or there will be opportunity to buy one later?

PS: I didn't watch the video about LiFePO4 vs. Lead Acid yet, but I'm looking forward to it very much.
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum." Descartes

electrodacus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »
Congratulations for the initiative! I find it nice and useful. You must have worked on it a lot, but for someone who worked for Siemens I believe that knowledge wasn't a big issue. Looking back to my early youth, I wish I had worked in the field of electronics, but sadly I was very bad in mathematics. Anyway, now that I realized how much fun I can have with electronics, I'm continuously learning and I'm always keeping an eye on new, exciting stuff that the more experienced are doing, so I thank you in this regard. :)

I'm hoping to get my hands on an SBMS1616 development board for learning purposes sometimes in the future and I have a question related to this because I didn't fully understand the description. If somebody would like to receive an assembled dev board does he/she need to become a backer on the Kickstarter project website or there will be opportunity to buy one later?

PS: I didn't watch the video about LiFePO4 vs. Lead Acid yet, but I'm looking forward to it very much.

Thanks, Yes it was quite some work but I did not had a choice I really needed this.
I was also bad at math, not a big fan barely got that pi right to register to this forum :)
I do not have an idea at the moment if I will produce more than what I will offer on Kickstarter to my bakers. I will need to think about. Unfortunately at this point it seems that only the minimum goal will be reached so it will be a not for profit project and I will need to think about a more popular product.
Is still OK for me since I needed to build a few for me anyway.
It will be Open Source so in theory anyone can build one at any time but if is just one or two it will quite expensive to build since there are some expensive components especially in one or two piece quantities and there are those 3 PCB's that alone will cost a small fortune + a good stencil and everything else you need to assemble not counting the work.
If you are not interested in this Solar BMS then maybe wait for my next project but I have no idea what will that be it needs to be something more popular it will probably still be Open Source and good as learning tool if anyone has a suggestion I will be happy to consider. 

PS: Am vazut ca esti din Romania. O sa iti placa comparatia dintre cele doua bateri.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
Welcome Dacian and thanks for posting your project here as well.

If for any reason you don't meet your goal on Kickstarter I will still buy one from you and do a video on it. I think in time to come there will be a greater demand for what you have put together.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)