Author Topic: Portable solar project - fully working!  (Read 5481 times)

kje

Portable solar project - fully working!
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
I made a portable solar project of a 10W monocrystallin solar panel, tool box, 10A CMP solar charger, cigarette sockets, switch, voltagemeter display, fuses, some wire and a old 74ah car battery.

I drilled some holes in the tool box for mounting two cigarette sockets, voltmeter display and a switch. The voltmeter display got broken after the install (as you can see in the picture) so I`ve ordered a new one. One cigarette socket is for solar panel in, and the other is for load out. As you can see in the picture it`s charging the battery with 664mA in the sun. I don`t know if that is very good or just ok? I`m proud that it works at least! :) It`s weather proof and portable!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:05:59 PM by kje »

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
Re: Portable solar project - fully working!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:42 PM »
That's a very nice little project, congrats.   :)

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
Brilliant! Reminds me of my "tool box" solar station I put together.....thanks for posting.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

kje

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 07:04:07 AM »
Thanks! :) How much mA should I expect from this project in the sun?

kje

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 06:08:09 AM »
 Watt/Volt=Amps
10W/12V=0,833

So the peak of my 10W panel is 833mA? Does that mean my 664mA in the sun was a decent outcome?

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:38:40 AM »
Watt/Volt=Amps
10W/12V=0,833

So the peak of my 10W panel is 833mA? Does that mean my 664mA in the sun was a decent outcome?
It will be interesting to see the actual spec of your solar panel (on the back?) but that is about correct (664 ma) for a 10 watt panel. Your calculation might be slightly off as most 10 watt PV's will be spec'ed for about 15-17 volt. This means 10/15 = 666 mA....very close to what you are getting.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

HVAC Guy

• Clifton Park Tankless Sales and Service
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »
I was wndering what this project cost you to do?
‎10 most powerful 2 letter words:

" If it is to be,it is up to me."

kje

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
I was wndering what this project cost you to do?

I think it was about $80. The most expencive part was the solar panel. I got a used car battery to a low price as well.  :)

Majes

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
Very nice, I have been thinking of doing something similar with some plastic pistol cases I have laying around. My goal will be to have 6, 9, and 12 volt outputs for powering routers, modems, and VOIP boxes. with internal battery being charged from existing solar panels mounted on inside of window with fly screen in place. Not sure I will be able to achieve that but it will be interesting experiment.

Any ideas for stepping voltage down without too much loss most welcome...

Thanks for sharing!!!