Author Topic: Rigol DS1052E/1102E Remote Logger  (Read 6946 times)

Fennec

Rigol DS1052E/1102E Remote Logger
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
Two channel Data Logger. I use it in a virtual machine on WinXP, works nice. Check this out

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/205601#2028729

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
Re: Rigol DS1052E/1102E Remote Logger
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
Warning the above link is in German language !!  ;D

As about me, my current dream model is the DS2072.
But I will research more about the software part, at the right timing.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:53:36 AM »
Warning the above link is in German language !!  ;D

Well, yes...the introduction is. The How-To underneath is in english. I hope you didn't get too offended by that Kiriakos :D

Basically it seems to be a program that uses a serial connection (he talks of RS-232....does the scope really have RS232?!?!?!, think he means the USB-Serial Connection) to send the measured voltage to the PC. You have to set up the scope and then the PC requests the current reading as it seems.
Could be fun if you have a rigol scope, otherwise I would prefer a multimeter with pc connection for logging or for faster signals, maybe a USB Box and some code.
We use a Labjack U12 for some basic measurements which works quite fine. Right now I am not really convinced about the usability of the Program, but it's a nice start anyway for further development. High Speed sampling with the scope and reading out the memory to the PC could be pretty interesting though.

PS: Microcontroller.net is a german site with quite great ressources and sample code. Sadly, as you have seen, it is german only. May be interesting if you search for sample code and translate it via google.

Fennec

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
>Warning the above link is in German language !!  ;D
>I hope you didn't get too offended by that Kiriakos :D

Np, entered as babbler, can I handle.   :o  ;)

>As about me, my current dream model is the DS2072

A nice one.. 2GSa/s and 56M storage on 800x600pix.. Not bad. But 800 Euros is much money for a hobby only and who knows how this firmware works ?!.. The Rigol DS1052E /DS11000 Firmware is useable, but far away from a professinal one.

Yes, the Rigol has both. An USB and a RS232 (Sub-D up to 38400bps) interface. But with the original Software you can not logging, but rather setup the scope or take a capture only. This software is not really usefull.
The software from µC.net is a real logging software, down to 100ms and up to days, month, I don't checked it. Very usefull to log voltage and current at the same time and in Excel you can calculate maybe a power diagram or something like that. What I like, this software runs with wine on Linux.
For fast logging you can use the DSO himself, it has a big 1MB storage / Ch. Okay, this is a cheap scope, but a good one for "normal" hobby electronics.
Nobody really needs a 1kSa/s 12bit 8 channel logger for 150 Euro  ;)
For maybe 15 Euro ($US20) you can buy a 8 channel logic analyzer replica from our friendly chinese. Runs with the saleae software.

http://hackaday.com/2009/03/06/tools-saleae-logic-logic-analyzer/

For long time logging most I use two cheap Unitrend UT61B DMM (35 Euro) They works with RS232 and USB too, so also I can use them on Linux.
If I have time I'll replace all my RS232 interfaces with bluetooth like a BTM-222 (9 Euro).
I think about datalogging with an AVR and a SD storage-card. Its much smaller and easier to handle like a PC  ;)
For cheap and easy datalogging like IR signal from your remote control, GSM data from a radio thermometer for example, you also can also use your soundcard with a sound progamm, like audacity or something like that. But beware the input voltage range !!

The log from a radio controlled 443,92MHz garage door opener with a soundcard. (manchester code)

@all
And yepp, http://mikrocontroller.net is a german Forum, but it is a damn big one, with very very much open source projects. I know it is not really readable with google translator, but try it. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to help you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:36:53 PM by Fennec »

Kiriakos GR

• ITTSB.EU
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »

A nice one.. 2GSa/s and 56M storage on 800x600pix.. Not bad. But 800 Euros is much money for a hobby only and who knows how this firmware works ?!

After the unboxing I will find out.   ;)

Fennec

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
Did u bought one ? Pls make a Video or a review, I am very interested on it. And which probes u will use ?

Kiriakos GR

• ITTSB.EU
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 08:44:15 PM »
I am not willing to make public reviews of items that I have pay for.
Sorry mate.