Author Topic: What did we do today?  (Read 6792 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: What did we do today?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Nice use for the asymmetric recycler, and good for keeping it from the scrap pile and giving it a new use.

PoBoySolar

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
Things going to scrap.........

A week later I was back for a repair and decided to get the rest of the sockets.  Good plug in sockets are more expensive than the plug in modules. Figured I might as well take the other four timers made by another company which were older.  Only one of them worked and that was intermittent. Opened one up and the zener/line capacitor power supply was toast with burnt circuit board and poisoned solder joints. The other three had exactly the same problem.

So, a serviceable $10,000 piece of equipment went to scrap because a service tech stopped after putting in just two new timers.

I'm sure the engineer who designed the timer did all the thermal calculations and came to the decision that the timer would survive the printed specifications.  Except, these often get placed in a hot environment with no air circulation, operate at slightly higher voltage and get coated with dust.  I see so many of these minimal designs that only manage to work for 5 years contributing to the worlds scrap. 

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »
I did the same, replacing some timers. Sure the original designer of them at Siemens in the 1960's did not think they would still be running nearly a half century later. The only reason I replaced them was the contacts on the relays finally were worn out, and had gone intermittent. The power supply of the timers was fine, even if the capacitors are tired, the resistors are weeping wax and you no longer can get unijunction transistors easily. The actual Siemens relay used inside is still made, but to get them was more expensive than the replacement Omron timers and the sockets, plus the original timers use a not very common socket, which has soldered contacts and is not DIN compatible.

kingsleytailors

• Scott uf
    • Occupational Therapy Record Maintenance
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 05:29:50 AM »
nothing i'm finding new ideas