Author Topic: The Portable Dog Killer / Quiet Canine Competition  (Read 52988 times)

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: The Portable Dog Killer / Quiet Canine Competition
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 06:05:15 AM »
Sign me up!
I have a few small outdoor automatic ultrasonic bark control units that have been dying.  This is a good opportunity to come up with something better, and to add a manual wireless remote to trigger them.
Not much of an outdoor photo, it was about -10 C this morning.

Brilliant...love the picture!
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: The Portable Dog Killer / Quiet Canine Competition / the treble shooter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 12:31:57 PM »
Steve Gibson is now officially calling this the "The treble shooter" which he has registered / trade marked.

To hear a little more about the progress he talks about it in Security Now! #385..goto 20:50
http://twit.tv/show/security-now/385
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Michael

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
Hey Martin,
I finally got the chance to get out with my old meter and take another photo of it in front of a famous Sydney landmark.  While the landmark is the same as per my previous competition entry, in this image the vantage point is from the western side, and also includes the Sydney Opera House in the background.

As for the quiet puppy circuit, I am unsure what I will come up with, as I am much better at building circuits than designing them!  Hopefully I'll get something happening!  The practical side of me thinks maybe ear plugs or a big juicy bone from the butcher are possible solutions, however I am not sure where the battery would fit in either of those ideas...

Who knew that the soil near the harbour had a resistance of 35.1K!

Now all I need is a dog....

Love your work,
Michael
Sydney, Australia
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 09:45:57 AM by Michael »

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
Nice, salty soil there.... I wonder it the PDK works on Vervet monkeys, I am having a problem with them recently.

tomaz

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm beginner in electronics... but I would like to learn!

I came across this while watching MJLorton ohm laws etc... :)
I'm waiting for 1ohm/50W resistors to create dummy load. This I wanted to be my first "big"(for me big, otherwise small) project, but it seems it will have to wait just little more :(

I have bought basics tools for electronics, kits of resistors, caps, diods... two multimeters and most expensive was Agilent oscilloscope - overkill for now, but I like to see signal on screen :)

I hope I will be successful in creating this ultrasound device, but I don't care, if I will not work, at least I will try :)

Maybe I will need some encouragement from you, but we will see.

First two pictures of multimeter:
 Airport in Belgium - Charleroi on way home to visit perents and friends.
Third picture of multimeter: Airport in Slovenia - Brnik
Last picture: few things for this new device...

Regards,
Tomaz.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
Hey Martin,
I finally got the chance to get out with my old meter and take another photo of it in front of a famous Sydney landmark.  While the landmark is the same as per my previous competition entry, in this image the vantage point is from the western side, and also includes the Sydney Opera House in the background.

As for the quiet puppy circuit, I am unsure what I will come up with, as I am much better at building circuits than designing them!  Hopefully I'll get something happening!  The practical side of me thinks maybe ear plugs or a big juicy bone from the butcher are possible solutions, however I am not sure where the battery would fit in either of those ideas...

Who knew that the soil near the harbour had a resistance of 35.1K!

Now all I need is a dog....

Love your work,
Michael
Sydney, Australia

Brilliant! Thanks as always for entering and your support Michael.

Cheers,
Martin.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:24 AM »
Hi,

I'm beginner in electronics... but I would like to learn!

I came across this while watching MJLorton ohm laws etc... :)
I'm waiting for 1ohm/50W resistors to create dummy load. This I wanted to be my first "big"(for me big, otherwise small) project, but it seems it will have to wait just little more :(

I have bought basics tools for electronics, kits of resistors, caps, diods... two multimeters and most expensive was Agilent oscilloscope - overkill for now, but I like to see signal on screen :)

I hope I will be successful in creating this ultrasound device, but I don't care, if I will not work, at least I will try :)

Maybe I will need some encouragement from you, but we will see.

First two pictures of multimeter:
 Airport in Belgium - Charleroi on way home to visit perents and friends.
Third picture of multimeter: Airport in Slovenia - Brnik
Last picture: few things for this new device...

Regards,
Tomaz.

Hello Tomaz,

Welcome aboard and thanks very much for the introduction and entering this competition...great pictures too!

If you need help or support just shout as there are some very supportive...and wise folks on the forum.

Cheers,
Martin.

RiccardoGiuliani

• Hw2Sw
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Here I am too!
Tried to find a bizarre set for a photo, and I proposed my meter to measure the resistance of water, from inside... strangely it reFUSED.
After a while I convinced it to have some tests onto a kindle reader: it accepted.

Kindle kindly denied any permission:as you can see the meter feels high tension in the air.
Even circuits have a soul.

[The top behind is one on three of Monte Velino - 2487 m]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:47:54 PM by RiccardoGiuliani »

Skorch

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
hey, so theres not to many vistas here in Cork City, some amazing architecture alright but well I'm fourth generation fisherman, "not by profession, by passion"(my grandfathers words in one of his soppyer moments), and so for that reason my photo was always going to be of the local river, the ever mighty River Lee.
This spot is just at the edge of the city and the weir is supposed to be a barrier to protect the river from this point upwards from the effects of the city as well as helping in the salmon runs of winter and spring, so from this point onwards up river, the river gets continually more beautiful and the fishing gets continually better, making it one of the bigger features of my childhood.
I know rakes more about it like local history and so on, but I wont bore you anymore than I already have with that.   

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 11:58:15 PM »
My grandmother came from that area. Born 190change, died 1922.

Skorch

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
Tis an awfully long way from here to there.
It's usually only the summer birds can manage a trip like that, your grandmother, god rest her, or her descendants must have accomplihed an awful lot in their time  :).

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 03:56:48 AM »
Died in childbirth ( so common at the time) and grandpa died at 89 from a broken heart when his second wife died.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
Here I am too!
Tried to find a bizarre set for a photo, and I proposed my meter to measure the resistance of water, from inside... strangely it reFUSED.
After a while I convinced it to have some tests onto a kindle reader: it accepted.

Kindle kindly denied any permission:as you can see the meter feels high tension in the air.
Even circuits have a soul.

[The top behind is one on three of Monte Velino - 2487 m]

Classic Post Riccardo! Thanks very much for entering.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »
hey, so theres not to many vistas here in Cork City, some amazing architecture alright but well I'm fourth generation fisherman, "not by profession, by passion"(my grandfathers words in one of his soppyer moments), and so for that reason my photo was always going to be of the local river, the ever mighty River Lee.
This spot is just at the edge of the city and the weir is supposed to be a barrier to protect the river from this point upwards from the effects of the city as well as helping in the salmon runs of winter and spring, so from this point onwards up river, the river gets continually more beautiful and the fishing gets continually better, making it one of the bigger features of my childhood.
I know rakes more about it like local history and so on, but I wont bore you anymore than I already have with that.   
Hello Skorch,  thanks for the picture and post. I worked in Dublin for 5 months back in 2000 and did pass through Cork while on a little trip around the "Island".
Good luck and enjoy the competition.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
As Steve Gibson has found Google Groups too chaotic to track he is keeping the latest info up to date in this ZIP on his site:
For the Latest Design Documents, please grab the current copy of this archive: http://www.GRC.com/tqc/LatestDesigns.zip

Another link with general info and background: http://www.grc.com/tqc/TheQuietCanine.htm