Author Topic: Home sweet Ham  (Read 5671 times)

Jason

Home sweet Ham
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
Hi Martin

Just a quick though now that you are back in the states I guess you now have the licence to transmit HAM frequencies again. It might be a really cool idea to try an Earth-Moon-Earth (EME) propagation transmission to perhaps someone you might know in South Africa.  Or even just a HF chat with one of your followers on YouTube. The technical aspects of it would potentially be very interesting to some with either the moon bounce or a standard HF chat. Just a thought.  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:26:35 PM by Jason »
If it ain't broken, let's open it up and see how it works.

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: Home sweet Ham
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 02:26:26 PM »
Hello Jason,

My HAM kit should be with me in the next 3 weeks....dreading trying to find space in my lab for it!! But I will pop back onto the air waves once I figure it all out again.

The EME has been suggested to me as at a technical "HAM" challenge and I really like the idea...so watch this space...at some point in time I'll give it a bash.

Thanks for the prod.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Paul Collins M0BSW

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
Hello Jason,

My HAM kit should be with me in the next 3 weeks....dreading trying to find space in my lab for it!! But I will pop back onto the air waves once I figure it all out again.

The EME has been suggested to me as at a technical "HAM" challenge and I really like the idea...so watch this space...at some point in time I'll give it a bash.

Thanks for the prod.
Good I'm pleased your joining the ranks of us radio hams again, The USA is easy to get for us in the UK, like having a free phone call with friends, you could have your on Net ,that would be good.
Quietly Learning

Jason

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »
Maybe one of you can help. I remember when I was learning radio propagation for my GMDSS radio licence that they thought us a really simple way to calculate the transmission distance of a said HF frequency. However I no longer remember the rule of thumb, something about dividing the frequency by 8 during the day and divide by 4 at night. Have you heard about this quick guide? I may not be remembering correctly.

Paul Collins M0BSW

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 01:44:34 AM »
Maybe one of you can help. I remember when I was learning radio propagation for my GMDSS radio licence that they thought us a really simple way to calculate the transmission distance of a said HF frequency. However I no longer remember the rule of thumb, something about dividing the frequency by 8 during the day and divide by 4 at night. Have you heard about this quick guide? I may not be remembering correctly.
No exams were far to long ago for me to remember that, however this maybe helpful  http://ve2xip.cactus.net/?p=1526
Quietly Learning

Jason

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »
Thanks Paul that was a great refresher and seems to confirm my general rule of thumb. At night when operating on 10Mhz you would expect a range of approximately 2, 500 miles because 10, 000 ÷ 4 = 2, 500. Where as during the day on the same frequency you wound expect a range of  approx 1, 250. It's not the most accurate calculation but it gives you an idea of what frequency you need if you want to reach a specific country for example using sky wave.