Author Topic: T4D #88 - Fluke multimeters with leaking / corroded surface mount supercap  (Read 25111 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
Probably the same, a revised layout or an improved circuit from early field failures. Photos somebody will no doubt make available.

retiredcaps

Photos somebody will no doubt make available.
So far, none of the repaired/replaced units have been taken apart by their owners in fear of voiding warranty.  Eventually, a picture will show up.

Crazyasianskillz

Re: T4D #88 - Fluke multimeters with leaking / corroded surface mount supercap
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2014, 05:33:55 PM »
Sorry to start up an old thread, but I'm considering purchasing a new fluke 287 from an authorized dealer. Does anyone know if fluke has resolved the leaky cap issue in 2014 builds?

Crazyasianskillz

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
I gave fluke tech support a call this morning inquiring about this issue. They claimed that this issue had been handled and that newer meters should not have this issue. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. Im planning to use this for microcontroller development and msic tasks around the house and garage.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »
I've not seen or heard anything that can confirm if corrective measures (new cap) have been taken. But I think you can purchase with confidence. If you have a problem in any way that Fluke don't cover related to that capacitor please post here and I'll try and assist.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

kitaismith

I have the same problem as well and I also gave service center 01603256620 a call.
I was told the lifetime warranty doesn't cover the corroded power capacitor.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:55:19 AM by kitaismith »

MJLorton

• Administrator
I've just sent another email to Fluke...

Tap me on the shoulder if I don't update this thread with a response by the 25th of this month (April) and I'll chase again.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

MJLorton

• Administrator
My email was acknowledged 2 minutes after sending it to my contact at Fluke. I will post any feedback as soon as I have it.

MJLorton

• Administrator
On 4/16/2015 11:22 AM, Wright, Dan wrote:> Hello Martin
> I’ve done some investigating on the issue of the Fluke 287/289 and the corrosion of the capacitor.  Our team has looked in to this at length and arrived at the following:
> •   Yes, there are instances where the capacitor is showing visible sign of discoloration, corrosion and what may be described as “leakage.”
> •   Yes, this is an issue that will be addressed in the next design and production update taking place next month.
> •   Despite the visual signs, there is no degradation to the performance of the meter.  The component in question provides backup power to the internal clock and should it fail, the only thing affected will be time and date settings after a battery change.
> •   If a user finds that the component has made the meter unusable, the user should contact a Fluke Service Center so the product can be evaluated.
>
> Best regards
> Dan
>
>

serggio

Hi All.

I have same issue with my Fluke 287. Currently, Panasonic completely discounted all SDT Gold capacitor series (EM, EN, EP, ER) https://industrial.panasonic.com/cdbs/www-data/pdf/RDG0000/DMG0000COL12.pdf.
They do not have direct replace from Panasonic and only taping type available in SD, SG, RF, RG series that have shelf live 10x-20x times more to compare with "problematic" EN series.
Interesting, what Gold capacitors series use Fluke in recent manufactured devices and will use for warranty repair?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:13:55 AM by serggio »

edel

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2016, 09:48:04 PM »
i'll share my experience.

i purchased a 289/FVF kit from Amazon last month (September), and was so disappointed to receive a unit that has a leaking capacitor.
the unit arrived with 2-bar battery level, and i tested removing batteries for a minute and when replaced back the time stuck and got ATTENTION/Error message line.

the included factory calibration slip and in the meter says the calibration made was October 24 2011.
this means i received an OLD (OLD and leaking capacitor) labeled as brandnew from amazon. 5years old! no wonder capacitor is already leaking.

i contacted Fluke, via the recent thread in my email (from previous bent probes handle issue) regarding this and still awaiting reply. meanwhile,
i contacted amazon and asked about policy regarding delivery of OLD item to a customer (because i also shipped my meter via freight forwarder).
i think they did not understand me and was told they can't help me and instead i should contact my freight forwarder. they even mistaken Fluke
as seller in Amazon. after several messages explaning what is Supercapacitor, that it is a intergral part of the device, that failing supercap renders
the device as battery hog, unable to save time/date settings, etc, i quit conversation and concluded Amazon will not help me.

so in the end, i have a "brandnew" (yes, brandnew but OLD STOCK) 289 unit with leaking capacitor. i guess, the leaking capacitor is a "feature" in
my delivered unit.

sending this for repair will be costly from my end, even if it covered by limited warranty. sometimes, buying Fluke is like wasting money.