Author Topic: Multimeter Review / buyers guide: Brymen TBM867  (Read 9631 times)

LightAges

• Canadian po
Multimeter Review / buyers guide: Brymen TBM867
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:09 AM »
I enjoy your videos and you have helped me make some buying decisions. Based on this video and information from Kiriakos GR I decided to buy a Brymen BM869. It is definitely worth the money and I would recommend it to anyone. The screen is a little hard to read at certain angles but I find it hard to find fault with the Brymen.

I have wanted to make a small elaboration to your comment on the current function secondary reading for a long time. The 4-20ma is not a digital indication. As you started out to say it is a control signal based on a range from 4-20ma. An example would be controlling a valve where 4ma would represent fully closed and 20ma would represent fully open and intermediate values would be intermediate positions for the valve. By using the secondary display you could move the vale through its range of motion and verify or calibrate the motion by watching the percentage reading in the secondary display.

If you do not want to see the current loop secondary display you can select other things such as an AC component riding on a DC current. The BM86X has memory for the last sub-function selected on the range switch so you never need to see what you don't want to see again.

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: Multimeter Review / buyers guide: Brymen TBM867
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 01:14:30 AM »
Yes, a great meter...thanks for the feedback and input!

I hope to get more Brymen kit into my hands in the future...

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

LightAges

• Canadian po
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
Martin:

Could you try this with you TBM867? While holding the delta/rel key turn on your meter. Mine displays 869-P9. Franky says his shows the same.

I also saw that you have calibration instructions for the Amprobe AM-160. Do you have any for the Bryemns, and/or can you send me the instruction for the Amprobe?

Thanks

Les

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »
Mine says 869-P7..... :o

Attached is the calibration process for the Amprobe / Brymen...

Use at your own risk!

Thanks to the kind viewers that sent this to me.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

LightAges

• Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
Thank you very much. I would guess that the numbers displayed are the version number of the firmware but one would think that the number would somehow relate to the model number.

ttp

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:06:47 AM »
My BM867 says 869-P9, bought around Nov-Dec last year. Wonder if that relates to firmware or chipset revisions?

Aditya

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
My question is we use to measure a 4-20ma transducer current by placing the multimeter in current mode across the two wires.It will show the current and it will not fuse.(Normally if we keep like that a short circuit occurs and the multimeter will fuse.It is not blowing because of less current?) Kindly reply

LightAges

• Canadian po
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
If I understand you question correctly, no, the fuse will not blow. 20ma is far below the rating of the fuse.

Aditya

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
Mention the Dont's with a multimeter
which may lead to fusing or blowing.

LightAges

• Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »
OK, since you asked so nicely......

Do Nots:

Do not leave your test leads in the amp testing jacks. Only connect them to the amp jacks as you are going to test amperage and then remove them immediately after.

Do not measure an unknown amperage before determining the possible voltage and amperage that the circuit can source.

Do:

Measure the voltage of the circuit before using the amp range. Ensure that it is not above the breaking voltage rating of the fuse in the multimeter.

Estimate the possible current that the circuit might be able to provide and do not use the meter to measure the current if the estimate is above the meter's rating.

Wear protective gloves and eye protection.

Use the highest current measurement range first and work down to the current range that gives you the best reading.

Measure for a very short duration at first to make sure that the current does not exceed the meter rating.

Keep spare fuses on hand.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:56:54 PM by LightAges »

Aditya

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Thank u for your reply...