Author Topic: UNI-T (UNI-Trend) UT90C review.....I killed it!  (Read 42432 times)

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: UNI-T (UNI-Trend) UT90C review.....I killed it!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 04:29:20 AM »
Okay, here is something interesting.  The manual for the UT61 series at

http://www.uni-trend.com/manual2/UT61English.pdf

clearly says on page 32 not to have more than 30V input.  This is the same warning as the UT90C.

So why does the UT61D in Dave's $99 shootout part 2 correctly show 50HZ in the mains voltage ohms overload test?  You can clearly see this at 22:12 to 22:37.  You can see him switch from ACV to HZ without disconnecting the mains and the UT61D survived.

Yup, very good point, it clearly worked fine on the UT61D in Dave's test....let me pop a note to Uni-Trend today and see if they can shed some light on the matter. For the price range I think the meters are good...and I love the displays....will feedback if I get any news.

Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Kiriakos GR

• Industrial Electrician - IT
    • ITTSB.EU
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 05:50:05 AM »
In a Greek forum about electronics, one user did try to measure Hz on Mains with one of those UNI-T meters,
the meter survived but there was no frequensy displayed under his test.
And so he came back on the forum to find ansers about the why the frequensy was not displayed ?

By using a meter out of it spesifications the results about the survival of it, it  is a matter of luck.

The fact that UNI-T does not have any industrial grade multimeters, is mailnly the reason that I am not flaming them about what they do with their line of multimeters for the low powered electronics.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:00:29 AM by Kiriakos GR »

kodai

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »
So why does the UT61D in Dave's $99 shootout part 2 correctly show 50HZ in the mains voltage ohms overload test?  You can clearly see this at 22:12 to 22:37.  You can see him switch from ACV to HZ without disconnecting the mains and the UT61D survived.

I think that the E has a different LSI  controller than the D.  I know it can do things that the D cant and has features that Uni-T did not enable.  We've all seen the light mod but that come at the cost of the auto-hold feature.  Most users of the E don't even know it has an auto hold because Uni-T has failed to point the feature out in a useful way.  To use it, you have to hold the "hold" button for several seconds. This will launch a countdown timer that gives you about 10 seconds to take your reading at which point it holds whatever you are measuring.  Really odd little auto hold feature.

So maybe the D can measue freq above 30v and/or change measurements while the probes are in place (lets not forget, that may have been the killer as well).  It may be a much more robust meter when compared to the E or most other Uni-T lines. Dont forget that the D could accuratly measure up to 30 Khz when it manual listed the 61's at topping off at 3 Khz.  I dont think that much bandwith is a fluke that Dave just managed to get ahold of.  I think there are major design differences in between the model numbers of their lines and Uni-T has very poorly documented them.  That would be for all the lines including the 90 series.

By the way Martin, did the 90 C's printed manual differ from the 90 A's, or is the manual like the 61 series and one book covers the entire line?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:41:17 PM by kodai »

retiredcaps

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »
I think there are major design differences in between the model numbers of their lines and Uni-T has very poorly documented them.

Agreed.  From a marketing perspective, if the UT61D and UT61E are so different, they should not have numbered them in the same family of products.  Maybe the UT61E should have been called a UT62 so customers know it uses a different chipset with different specs (20,000 count), etc.

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
By the way Martin, did the 90 C's printed manual differ from the 90 A's, or is the manual like the 61 series and one book covers the entire line?
The manuals for the 90A and 90C are different as they are fairly different in terms of features / functionality i.e. 2000 vs 4000 count, manual vs auto ranging and battery vs solar power.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Kiriakos GR

• ITTSB.EU
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »
Martin did you revive it ?  ;D  (on your latest video it looks that way)

Will  you share the repair tip with the planet ? :)

retiredcaps

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »

I haven't watched the whole video, but at 26:43, Martin says "this the 90C when it was still working" so it looks like he posted the videos out of order.  This is probably not uncommon as he probably had to do a lot of editing.

retiredcaps

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:04 PM »
And don't think we haven't noticed that you are color coordinating your shirts with the color of the multimeter rubber holster.  Red shirt for UT90C and orange for your solar clock while talking about the 1272A logging capabilities.  ;)

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »

Will  you share the repair tip with the planet ? :)

I wish I had revived it...still need to pull it apart and will post a video on that and a few clips of the charging before I dinged it.
As per retiredcaps....that video was shot before I did the review.... ;)

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
And don't think we haven't noticed that you are color coordinating your shirts with the color of the multimeter rubber holster.  Red shirt for UT90C and orange for your solar clock while talking about the 1272A logging capabilities.  ;)

LOL....someone told me brighter colours look better on video....I just happened to pull the "right" t-shirt out of the cupboard that day...   ;)

Kiriakos GR

• ITTSB.EU
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »

I do not have comments about the t-shirts especially when they do not have the brand logo on them.

But he was hugging the red holsters with an enigmatic joy.
Does he hide anything from us? Time will tell.   ;D ;D ;D

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 06:50:13 AM »

I do not have comments about the t-shirts especially when they do not have the brand logo on them.

But he was hugging the red holsters with an enigmatic joy.
Does he hide anything from us? Time will tell.   ;D ;D ;D
Cheeky man!  :P

retiredcaps

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »
One last try?

I watched the follow up video on the UT90C, but I cannot tell what the broken UT90C displays when it is on ohms mode. 

Does it flash 0.0000 or show 0L?

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »
One last try?

I watched the follow up video on the UT90C, but I cannot tell what the broken UT90C displays when it is on ohms mode. 

Does it flash 0.0000 or show 0L?

It shows 0.0000 on ohms.

retiredcaps

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:58 AM »
It shows 0.0000 on ohms.

I noticed the volts reading is also 0.000.  With your ohms reading 0.000, it almost looks like the input jacks, COM and voltage, are shorted together?

In any working multimeter, if you put the probes together you would get 0.000V and 0.000 ohms (or close to it).  When the probes are apart, you should get a little bit of ghost voltage for volts (minor fluctuation) range and of course 0L for ohm range.

So there might be a shorted component somewhere?  Anyway, if you have time, post the photos.  I will take a look to see if any component is the likely suspect.