Author Topic: It went crispy  (Read 4011 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
It went crispy
« on: March 20, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
Older changeout of a failed capacitor on an airconditioner. Connection on the capacitor was arcing and making a noise, so replaced with another capacitor, and replaced the connection using a piece of old wiring loom, removing the need for the capacitor terminal needing to join multiple wires.

While there I replaced the power switch, as it was arcing on turn on as well, and I had a spare one. The contacts on the one side were a little burnt, and i tested out using my cellphone with the objective out of an old photocopier as a quick and nasty macro lens. Works, but I need a bigger lens, and will try the next time with one.

RobertoLG

Re: It went crispy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
just a little cooked lol

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »
Connection on the capacitor was arcing and making a noise
I bet their wifi has a bit more range too now it's fixed :-)
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »
Not really, the AP is 30m away, and there is a microwave that runs 5 hours a day next to this unit, so the RF floor is not changed at all. Being SA there is no free wifi anywhere at all, unless you find the odd person with the default password still set on the telco supplied ADSL router. They tend to change this after the first few months of being hard capped, or getting the wonderful bill for "overage" on the account.

ProBang2

• Really! My screwdriver should be more sonic...
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »

There is no "unlimited flatrate" available in SA?
If you think, my english is bad, then you should read my french. :(

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 12:38:53 AM »
There is, but "subject to T and C" which means you will get capped if you actually try to use it as uncapped. Fixed line only though, no wireless AP is unlimited, even the top plans come with either 5G a month of wireless or with a soft cap that degrades you to dial up speed.