Author Topic: HELP-Choosing a good multimeter??  (Read 8523 times)

AutoElecHack

HELP-Choosing a good multimeter??
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
Hello,

I am an Auto Electrician and a $50 Uni-T clamp meter does me fine in everyday automotive use.

But now that I am delving into small circuitry, arduino and all the good stuff, I want to invest in a good quality multimeter that will have all the features I will use and none that I won't.

I don't know much about oscilloscopes but is it worth getting a multimeter with a scope on it aswell? I'm just not sure if the refresh rate or whatever you call it, would be as good as a proper desktop one that everyone else seems to use. I do have plans on buying a scope by itself down the track once I get my head around everything else.

If you guys could PLEASE let me know of a multimeter that can check caps and transistors and all that jazz, I'm assuming I want a meter with those features? I really like the UNI-T range and have been looking at getting them from dx.com if ebay is not cheaper.

Thanks alot guys in advance,

Daniel

LightAges

• Canadian po
Re: HELP-Choosing a good multimeter??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
Uni-T makes OK meters for the lower end of the market. Two meters that are regularly recommended are the UT61E at $60 and the UT71D at around $170. They both come with many features and good accuracy specifications plus a PC cable and software. I have had a UT61E and a UT71E. Would I buy another of these? Maybe but I think there are better options. There is the Digitek DT2843R which is a good buy at around $45 but doesn't have a PC connection option. There is the Brymen BM257 at $135 that has the option for PC connection at an extra cost but is made for safe use on higher energy circuits.

You don't need transistor testing on a meter as it is basically a useless feature and is usually an indication of lower quality in a meter.

IMHO, if you can spend $135 (including shipping to your door) and want a meter that does everything most people need, and want a meter that can be used on house wiring and higher energy circuits, then the BM257 is hard to beat.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:04:31 AM by LightAges »

iloveelectronics

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 05:48:05 AM »
The Uni-T UT139C is the latest in their multimeter lineup and it seems to be made with better input protection for safety. It also has a few features that the UT61E lacks, such as the backlight and auto power off. It doesn't offer the same level of resolution (only 6000 counts) and doesn't have a PC connection option but otherwise a nicely built meter for its price ($52 shipped from my eBay store). A customer of mine has a Youtube video review, you should be able to find it easily.
My eBay store: http://www.99centHobbies.com
Email: franky @ 99centHobbies . com

retiredcaps

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »

nhantruong123

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 09:07:19 PM »
I think the Fluke 87V might be a good choice, I appreciate it more than the rest of Fluke products. Possesses accurate measurement capability by true True-RMS multi-line non-linear current values. Measure AC / DC voltage up to 1000V; measuring the current of 10 A, 20 A in a maximum of 30 seconds, Measuring the frequency range of 200 kHz and% of operation cycle (duty cycle), measuring resistance with a measuring range of 50MΩ / 0.1 MΩ; measuring capacitance of 10,000µF accuracy ± (1% +2); Measure the rated temperature -200,0 ° C to 1090 ° C; measuring current intensity of measuring range 6000A / 0.001A; 20 A overload for a maximum of 30 seconds. The device also supports an input alert function (Input Alert) that gives you an audible warning when using the wrong probe position, ensuring the highest safety for users. Built-in temperature measurement with built-in probe. Designed to meet EN 61010-1 to CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V & Electrical safety certification of UL, CSA, TÜV, VDE. Choosing the Fluke 87V is a good choice, see more about this product here: https://techmaster.com.vn/dong-ho-van-nang-fluke-87v.

ProBang2

• Really! My screwdriver should be more sonic...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »

Dear "nhantruong123".

Sorry, but I am pretty sure: The user "AutoElecHack" has chosen and bought a DMM already five years ago...
If you think, my english is bad, then you should read my french. :(