Author Topic: Stuff being recycled.  (Read 3237 times)

SeanB

• Administrator
Stuff being recycled.
« on: July 22, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
I have been cleaning up a little at work, and some stuff has been going as scrap metal sadly, but at least I got some pictures before it went to the bin to be made into new.

First is a little thermal printer from a POS system, it has been obsoleted as it was not USB and the new POS computer did not come with either parallel or serial ports.

POS printer supply by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Power brick, for once not made in PRC. Still works.....

POS printer by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

The top, plain vanilla.

printer open by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Open

main board by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Main and only board.

bottom of board by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Underside, with a few bodges, some just wires, one a leaded resistor and another a SM resistor and even an extra ceramic capacitor across the power supply.

print unit by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

The thermal print unit.

open paper cutter by SeanB_ZA, on Flickr

Paper cutter open showing V blade and the drive mechanism.

More to come soon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:59:59 PM by SeanB »

SeanB

• Administrator
Re: Stuff being recycled.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:40:36 PM »
I have been to the yard again, and here is a little more I got.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33277124@N08/sets/72157635270169473/

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I have been to the yard again, and here is a little more I got.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33277124@N08/sets/72157635270169473/

Is the bigger item a small computer unit?  did that run that security port hub thing?
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

SeanB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
The big ( as in as big as an A4 ream of paper) unit is a slim client from HP, basically a AMD mobile processor with 1G of memory running as a visual display and IO unit for an instance of Windows ( or whatever) running on a central server. Basically a terminal with ambition. No idea if it works, as I did not get a PSU with it, but I might just power it up with a PSU on the weekend and see if it works. The other is a remote RS232 and RS422 interface, used to connect things that use RS232 to a network, so they hopefully appear ( if the right software is installed server side) as ports to the clients on the server. That one has had a heavy knock, as the 1000uF 25V SM cap in the PSU has one lead broken from the solder pad, and the battery was nearly out of the socket. It probably does work as well. Likely these were removed and scrapped as part of an upgrade somewhere.