Author Topic: Review: Amprobe AM-160-A / Extech MM560A / Brymen BM857A / Brymen BM859  (Read 9300 times)

MJLorton

• Administrator
Review: Pt 1 Amprobe AM-160-A / Extech MM560A / Brymen BM857A / Brymen BM859 / Greenlee DM860 : http://youtu.be/iTbVRRlVhLY
Review: Pt 2 Amprobe AM-160-A / Extech MM560A / Brymen BM857A / Brymen BM859 / Greenlee DM860 : http://youtu.be/9ynbdKheoqs

Buy on Amazon: http://astore.amazon.com/m0711-20/detail/B005EMGV8O
Buy Extech MM560A: http://www.tester.co.uk/extech-mm560a-multimaster-high-accuracy-multimeter?cmid=QmhzQjcxYjVlc1E9&afid=bFcwbzliNzVDc289&ats=TmFtUXEyeVd1a2s9

Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

psma

Hi, I am Brazilian and I follow your youtube channel. Congratulations for the good work.

I recently bought the AM-160-A and make some considerations:

• I noticed that there is high impedance in the range of millivolts.
  • Probes are small and lack of a chamfer complicates the job.
  • Is slow on the scale changes in ohms
  • The readings are very slow when activating TRMS AC + DC.

The product is good and has a good quality, but I'll have to buy new probes because I can not adapt to the originals.

SeanB

• Administrator
Probe upgrade is a cheap thing to do to an otherwise good meter. The Chinese market TL175 probes are a good upgrade for most meters.

MJLorton

• Administrator
Hi, I am Brazilian and I follow your youtube channel. Congratulations for the good work.

I recently bought the AM-160-A and make some considerations:

• I noticed that there is high impedance in the range of millivolts.
  • Probes are small and lack of a chamfer complicates the job.
  • Is slow on the scale changes in ohms
  • The readings are very slow when activating TRMS AC + DC.

The product is good and has a good quality, but I'll have to buy new probes because I can not adapt to the originals.

Thanks for the feedback and information you have posted. Many meters benefit from a set of good quality probes...and I think this is a great meter so certainly worth the upgrade.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

psma

Correcting: I noticed that NO there is high impedance in the range of millivolts.

I also agree that the probes TL175 are a great upgrade and got a pair on eBay.

I'm still learning how to work with this multimeter.

Blackthorn

Re: Review: Amprobe AM-160-A / Extech MM560A / Brymen BM857A / Brymen BM859
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:54:25 PM »
Just an FYI. This is very similar to the Extech MM570. The board is almost identical, with a few exceptions. The mm570 does not have the green 1000 Ohm resister. It looks like is has two other components that stand on end in its place. This could be because the mm570 is a step up from the mm560 and has to do with the additional accuracy or another function.

There are differences, such as the mm570 does not have the rubbery covering on the outside of the meter, and the battery is easy to remove. The screws for the battery compartment has metal receivers, so they won't strip out. The back cover screws are made not to come out completely from the case, but they do seem to use the same type of rubber seals. The edge of the MM570 is made differently and there is no place where the two case covers are not tightly sealed together.

There may be more differences, but there is not doubt that the MM570 is very similar. Just thought someone would like to know.

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: Review: Amprobe AM-160-A / Extech MM560A / Brymen BM857A / Brymen BM859
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »
Thanks for the input Blackthorn...the easy access to the battery caught my eye as I has to change the battery in mine a few weeks ago and what a pain.

Cheers, Martin.