Author Topic: 3d rendering of Cary Tube Amp  (Read 5077 times)

Tony3dd

3d rendering of Cary Tube Amp
« on: September 25, 2013, 05:41:20 AM »
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I just completed this rendering I did in Lightwave of a Cary tube amplifier. Thought you guys would like to have a look. Took 5 hours to render at 300 dpi on a 3.06ghz 12 core Mac Pro.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:09:24 AM by Tony3dd »

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: 3d rendering of Cary Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:47:40 PM »
Great render Tony, I'm not sure what it is about the look, but it reminds me of the artwork from Tintin books which I love.

I'm glad you mentioned the time and hardware...I was going to ask....as rendering consumes a fair amount of my time! ;-)

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

Tony3dd

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:44:32 PM »
Thanks. It's actually the transparency, and refraction of the glass that drives up the rendering time.

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »
hi,  did you create all the models in the scene yourself?
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

Tony3dd

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:39 AM »
Yes I did. It's what I do for a living. If you have a look in audio magazines, much of what you see could bee my work. I've been doing 3d modeling, and animation for about 15 years now. Pretty boring stuff compared to electronics. I get my new power supply today. Can't wait. That's why I started getting back into electronics. Getting a bit burned out on 3d. Here's another....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:17:47 AM by Tony3dd »

Tony3dd

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »
Here's my 3d workstation in my home office. My electronics bench is on the opposite wall. To embarrassing  to show really.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:07:51 AM by Tony3dd »

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 07:39:21 AM »
Yes I did. It's what I do for a living. If you have a look in audio magazines, much of what you see could bee my work. I've been doing 3d modeling, and animation for about 15 years now. Pretty boring stuff compared to electronics. I get my new power supply today. Can't wait. That's why I started getting back into electronics. Getting a bit burned out on 3d. Here's another....

I'm very impressed! modelling is a lot harder than it looks;   I've never done much 3D work but I do appreciate the skill involved.  I've had to create plenty of seamless textures through my day job which is quite important to nice 3D renders.   

Yes - I've glanced a couple of posts about the power supply;  looks like a nice one unit; much better than mine. ;-)
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »
Here's my 3d workstation in my home office. My electronics bench is on the opposite wall. To embarrassing  to show really.

Well my "lab" for some 25 years consisted of one Multimeter!  then 3 years ago I make my first real electrics project and now I've got a little room full of interesting old test gear.  ;-)
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!

Tony3dd

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
Thanks. 3D is fun , but after 15 years it gets a bit boring. Before I started my one business in 3D, I was a CNC programmer at Disney World. My machining experience really set me up to work with 3D models. It was a fairly easy transition. Electronics on the other hand I'm finding to be much more of a challenge. Like I say I'm just starting out. I took electronics in high school, and the last kit I ever built was a Heathkit Hero1 robot. There you go, I just gave away my age, which I'm sure will work against me. My only salvation is finding a great community of people such as yourselves, who are willing to help. Much Appreciated! What suggestions do you have for a rather complete novice? I am a dedicated high end audiophile, so I'm not completely unaware. I also know how to use a multimeter, vaguely remember a bit of how to use a scope as well. I have a new DMM, and will get a scope when I get further into this. Would really like to check my amplifier clipping as well. Also found a great program for my iPad, and phone called Electronic toolbox Pro! It's wonderful, and chalk full of every formula,and tool one would need. If you haven't already, you should check it out. It's $10.00, but well worth the money I think.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:15:33 PM by Tony3dd »

Mr Eastwood

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
What suggestions do you have for a rather complete novice?
Just do whatever takes your fancy.  My first project was a temperature controller which is almost finished;  my next project will be an opensource bit of test gear, although that one is requiring a massive amount of research and learning.  But I would say choose a project that both interests you and allows you to develop your skills.

Also found a great program for my iPad, and phone called Electronic toolbox Pro! It's wonderful, and chalk full of every formula,and tool one would need. If you haven't already, you should check it out. It's $10.00, but well worth the money I think.
I think I've got the lite version installed already, and it's pretty handy, but thanks for the tip! ;-)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:27:01 AM by jucole »
Hey! Frisbee! Far out!